East Asian history Master's or Ph.d and where?

bettafish

So I am deciding between three programs.  A wonderfully funded Ph.d offer at UVA, a less wonderfully funded but perhaps more competitive Ph.d offer at UNC and a funded master's at UCLA.  This year is the monkey year so perhaps thats why my luck has been going good so far.  I feel like getting a funded master's offer from UCLA could signal the high likelihood of a Ph.d admit.  Or maybe not.  I wouldn't see any point in getting the masters if it didn't give me high favor with UCLA.  UVA gave me a very good funding package with a fellowship so I wouldn't have to worry about money there.  The problem is the faculty I'd be working with seems to be very highly regarded but is new at the university and as such has no placements.  East Asian history also seems to be less established at this school but I would also have a good amount of faculty attention as there is only one China student currently.  UNC seems to have more highly regarded East Asian history and the faculty has good placement history.  I would be one of 5 Ph.d students under the faculty person though and the money at UNC is definitely not as good.  30k at UVA vs 18k at UNC, a difference of almost half.  I've gotten some decent advice from my undergrad profs but I don't think anyone has been blunt with me.  One prof said I should follow the money but more importantly is I want an advisor who will advocate for me and I want to be a in place that will prepare me to enter academia after I get my degree.  Thoughts?  Anyone else facing/faced similar decisions?

Go to UVA.  Do not look back.  Faculty are allowed to move to somewhere where they think they can build a program.  No doubt that the "new" faculty members are looking to build up the East Asian program and are working hard to establish connections within the university and wider field to begin regarding UVA as a solid place to do the PhD.   UVA's overall reputation will still help you -- along with these names of the faculty members.