Start PhD or take RA position? Need major input

acole1177

Hey everybody,

So I thought I wasn't going to be accepted to any programs as all my schools had sent out invites and I decided to email a couple profs who I spoke to and ask for advice on applying next cycle. Well out of the blue one of them emailed me today asking me if I could talk about the program and if I had accepted a school yet (hinting heavily at a possible invite). I hadn't but in the meantime I had been applying to a lot of RA positions and have had interviews at 2 top ten schools. 

My question is if I am offered a spot as a PhD student should I take it at an average school or should I wait to hear from the RA positions at very impressive schools and apply again once I have those names on my resume? Or would that even make a difference? 

Thanks!

Well, one person I know rejected a couple PhD program offers to safety schools that she realized weren't right for her and ended up doing an RA position to build up some experience.  After that, she went on to apply again and got into her top choice.  I don't think it is a bad idea, but you have to evaluate your application realistically and think about what parts need to be strengthened.  There are a lot of ways to make yourself attractive to PhD programs, and you just have to know what they are looking for at the institutions you are pursuing, in terms of skills, stats, experiences.  Find the right balance in the amount of time you are willing to spend building up your CV.  Names are really unimportant unless you are working with a colleague of a POI who can vouch for you.

It depends on how you feel about that school. If you think you can do better, then settling for whatever Ph.D. program you can get into might demotivate you later into the program. That said, I did the same thing (chose an RA position in a prestigious institution), and did only marginally better in my apps. This is after almost 3 years of really relevant work, publications, and LORs from a very well known researcher. 

This process can be random at times, so even if you're gaining experience in a top school you might not do a lot better. Then again, you might. 

My point is, you have to decide on what's a good fit for you. If you're not fully content with the doctoral program you might be accepted into, then it might be better to take an RA position. If anything, it might help you polish your interests even further, which is good.

I agree with above; it depends on how you feel about the program. Being an RA at a prestigious school with a well known PI doesn't automatically mean you'll do outstanding on the next app cycle--I am an RA at a school that is top 5 in both psychiatry and psychology, and had really great letter writers, and I only got 2 interviews and am waitlisted at both places.

That said, if you're not in a rush, and you aren't wild about the program, it couldn't hurt to take some time to improve your CV.

I don't think this is a question that can be answered in the abstract -- an opinion very much depends on the specific PIs and schools involved, and knowledge of why you didn't make it this year and whether another year would help. I think you should seek out someone at your school who knows your area and ask their advice.