APPLICATION DILLEMMA

akroor

Hi,

Im currently a 2nd year graduate student in a Political Science Department. The professor that I came to work with left my University and did not take me along, because he had other students that were already deeply involved with him. Now I am stuck and there arent others in my department who want to take me as their advisee. I would find a way, but I am inclined to get out of here and start somewhere else.

I am planning to apply to another university. I have found a professor that I like, contacted him and he seems to be interested. My problem is basically that I need 3 references for my application to the other place. I feel like I cannot ask any of the professors at my current school, because I dont want them to know that Im thinking of leaving. But the only other options are my professors from Undergrad, which was a long time ago.

Any thoughts on this? When people apply for jobs to another school, but they need recommendations, how do they do it? I cant imagine they ask their boss for a reference for another job. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm a bit confused. You said there aren't any other professors at your school that want to take you as their advisee, so why do you think they would be insulted/annoyed if they knew you were applying to other programmes? Surely they would recognize that their school is no longer a good fit for you since the other professor left, and would want to help you find a place that could provide a supervisor.

What about the Professor who left? Would he be willing to write one for you? If there is anyone from your undergrad school that would remember you I would still use them. Also, I would use any of the professors at your current school that you can trust. To answer your final question, I have used current bosses as references for jobs I was trying to obtain numerous times. When the economy is not this bad it is a fairly common practice, depending on the relationship you have with them and the type of job it is.

You're thinking of leaving your PhD program for one of the very few reasons that doesn't have a stigma attached to it. When this same situation happened to me (my supervisor moved to another country - where I don't speak the language - about a year and a half into my PhD), I didn't try to hide it from anyone in my department. It was well-acknowledged to be a totally valid reason to leave; you're supposed to pick a PhD program based on research fit, and I no longer had research fit.

I wouldn't worry about what other profs in your department will think. Especially if you explain your reasons, I'm sure they'll understand why you're leaving. Definitely think about getting a letter from the prof who left, and ask your other profs too.

Hi All,

thank you for your replies. The thing about not letting the other profs know is that I would rather do a phd here than not at all, even if it means i have to modify my research interest slightly. Only if i get into the other program, then I would leave.

I think I will ask my undergrad profs to write my LORs. I also have one from my job, plus I have a publication with one of the frequent lecturers to the program that Im applying to. Thanks again!