Another one of those long-time "lurkers," first time poster. Is anyone else deciding between SIPA and SAIS, or have suggestions for the pros + cons list? Although I'm doing a Asia/South Asia concentration, I'd appreciate any insights regarding the programs as a whole. One of the things I'm most curious about is about how folks here measure the programs' prestige. Although that won't be the defining factor, I still am not completely sure how to assess the "ranking" of the programs, outside of the TRIP/FP study from last year.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm making the same decision. I've essentially come to the conclusion that the programs' prestige is about the same. The salary and employment data seems very similar and the employers are also very similar. Makes it a tough decision no?

I am pretty sure I'm going to pick SAIS fwiw. It seems that SAIS has a strong reputation for heavy, quantitative economic preparation which is something I desire. I was also accepted into IDEV, and I got the notion that the program has more structure and rigor than what I would do at SIPA. I'm a self-starter, so I never imagined a problem directing myself at SIPA, but I think at SAIS I won't need to do as much legwork to get the attention I want, and can focus my energy elsewhere (like looking for jobs/internships and networking in DC).

The two big draws at Columbia for me are the city (I like NYC way better than DC). And Columbia has a campus with access to all of those resources. So Columbia wins in the qual of life dept.

I found this thread interesting as a compare/contrast