OISE MEd Counselling Psychology - Counselling and Psychotherapy Program

Anna90

For those who applied to the OISE Master of Education - Counselling and Psychotherapy program (including all of those who were accepted or rejected), could you please share your stats (counselling experience, GPA)? Thanks so much!

Applied: MEd Counseling & Psychotherapy
Accepted: ???
Waitlisted: ???
Rejected: ???
GPA: 3.88 in final year of undergrad (neuroscience), 3.83 in MA (gender/women's studies)

Relevant experience: Sexual assault crisis line, disability care collective, one season as a front line shelter volunteer and my paid work for the past several months has been at the same shelter, board member of gender justice centre for 3 years, queer and trans community organizing work, peer support winter mental health group. 
Perceived strength of statement of intent/interviews/references: I feel really good about my statement of intent - shows my strengths and interests pretty clearly and showcases how I stand out from the crowd (hopefully!) One letter was from a coworker and is good, and the other is from one of my MA supervisors (a social work prof) and I haven't seen it but have no reason to think it's not solid.

No mail delivery today, no update on SGS and nothing on my ROSI account seems to have changed since I took a summer class at UTM in 2009. Not sure if this means rejection or it just hasn't been updated yet?? Feeling pretty nervous about it because I really want this program.

2 hours ago, jnv said:

Applied: MEd Counseling & Psychotherapy
Accepted: ???
Waitlisted: ???
Rejected: ???
GPA: 3.88 in final year of undergrad (neuroscience), 3.83 in MA (gender/women's studies)

Relevant experience: Sexual assault crisis line, disability care collective, one season as a front line shelter volunteer and my paid work for the past several months has been at the same shelter, board member of gender justice centre for 3 years, queer and trans community organizing work, peer support winter mental health group. 
Perceived strength of statement of intent/interviews/references: I feel really good about my statement of intent - shows my strengths and interests pretty clearly and showcases how I stand out from the crowd (hopefully!) One letter was from a coworker and is good, and the other is from one of my MA supervisors (a social work prof) and I haven't seen it but have no reason to think it's not solid.

No mail delivery today, no update on SGS and nothing on my ROSI account seems to have changed since I took a summer class at UTM in 2009. Not sure if this means rejection or it just hasn't been updated yet?? Feeling pretty nervous about it because I really want this program.

Seriously they need to accept you right away!!

5 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Seriously they need to accept you right away!!

aw thanks i really hope so!! this is comforting. :) good luck to you too!

Edited by jnv

Jnv, what percent does 3.88 GPA convert to at your university? Also, I was rejected by this department two years ago and my application status on SGS stills says "under review". My status hasn't changed on SGS. The department usually sends out the letters to the applicants around this time of year. Good luck and please give us an update on your status later.

59 minutes ago, Anna90 said:

Jnv, what percent does 3.88 GPA convert to at your university? Also, I was rejected by this department two years ago and my application status on SGS stills says "under review". My status hasn't changed on SGS. The department usually sends out the letters to the applicants around this time of year. Good luck and please give us an update on your status later.

if i've got the conversion right, i think it's just under 85%? 

Edited by jnv

I have a final year GPA lower than that at 3.82 from Uoft with 4 years of experience at a hospital, 2 years at a health and wellness center, 1 year as research assistant at a clinical neuropsychology lab and a social neuroscience lab, and experience at women's centre, with disability services, and have worked with children, adolescents, and seniors. I haven't received any response either (not on ROSI or through mail), but last year people with lesser GPA and experience were accepted or at least waitlisted. But I am losing all hope

Edited by Applicant#1000

Hey all,

I received a rejection letter on Thursday. My average over the last 2 years is about 92% with my overall average around 80 or so. Almost a year and a half volunteering with a mental health group, over a year and a half volunteering with student disability services at my school, 4 years volunteering with a pet store/shelter, plus a bunch of shorter stints of volunteer work in the human services. I applied last year too and both my applications still say "Under Review" on SGS, so I wouldn't expect to see news there (or least bad news). No email either, just the letter. Keeping my fingers crossed for all you guys, I really hope you get in!!! You all sound very qualified :D

21 hours ago, KayC said:

Hey all,

I received a rejection letter on Thursday. My average over the last 2 years is about 92% with my overall average around 80 or so. Almost a year and a half volunteering with a mental health group, over a year and a half volunteering with student disability services at my school, 4 years volunteering with a pet store/shelter, plus a bunch of shorter stints of volunteer work in the human services. I applied last year too and both my applications still say "Under Review" on SGS, so I wouldn't expect to see news there (or least bad news). No email either, just the letter. Keeping my fingers crossed for all you guys, I really hope you get in!!! You all sound very qualified :D

Sorry to hear about the rejection :(

You sound like a superhero with all that experience under your belt. I'm sure there is a better program out there for you! Thanks for sharing 

7 hours ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Just got my rejection letter. Congrats and good luck to everyone who got in!

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. You really deserved to get in! If it helps at all, I was told by someone who graduated a few years ago that they get so many applications, they never let anyone in the first time they apply. Regardless, I hope you end up in a program that makes you happy!

11 minutes ago, KayC said:

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. You really deserved to get in! If it helps at all, I was told by someone who graduated a few years ago that they get so many applications, they never let anyone in the first time they apply. Regardless, I hope you end up in a program that makes you happy!

That's so kind of you. Thank you for the encouraging words. Good luck to you as well and hope you get into a great program!

On March 30, 2016 at 0:26 PM, soapaddict said:

did anyone also apply to UNBC masters of education- counseling ?

ps how many people does the OISE accept for their MEd?

OISE has taken between 32-35 for the M.Ed. Counselling & Psychotherapy in the past few years. (They send around 45 offers, but don't enrol that many.)