Average GRE Scores for Columbia's SIPA

MPPhomes

Guest SIPA_MPA18

Depending on your background and application strength, you should aim for mid-150's on Q/V and at least 4.0 on AW. You'd be much safer with high 150's or 160+ and a 4.5+. If I didn't have so much work experience, my mid-150's Quant might not have been good enough. Just remember, it's just a piece of the puzzle. 

50 minutes ago, mpp2016 said:

Depending on your background and application strength, you should aim for mid-150's on Q/V and at least 4.0 on AW. You'd be much safer with high 150's or 160+ and a 4.5+. If I didn't have so much work experience, my mid-150's Quant might not have been good enough. Just remember, it's just a piece of the puzzle. 

Agreed. Though I don't think you need to worry much about AW. Funny story, I didn't prepare for the GRE (didn't know there was a writing section), when I saw it was the first section I decided I wanted to prevent myself from any anxiety later on in the exam, so I just wrote one parapraph that I thought logically summed up my argument. I got a 3.5. It didn't stop me from gaining admission to SIPA and SAIS (the AW can be was offset by very high Q+V, work experience, GPA, Essays).

Just now, monocle said:

Agreed. Though I don't think you need to worry much about AW. Funny story, I didn't prepare for the GRE (didn't know there was a writing section), when I saw it was the first section I decided I wanted to prevent myself from any anxiety later on in the exam, so I just wrote one parapraph that I thought logically summed up my argument. I got a 3.5. It didn't stop me from gaining admission to SIPA and SAIS (the AW can be was offset by very high Q+V, work experience, GPA, Essays).

Ok, it wasn't really a funny story.. sorry all

Okay, so back in early December I did an online information session with SIPA, and the admissions staffer who was conducting the session said that the average GRE for both Verbal and Quant is usually in the 75th percentile....

It definitely seemed like she slipped and didn't get the memo that SIPA doesn't release those stats, but looking at comparable schools, it does make sense that SIPA's averages would be in that range.

• 2 years later...

Guys, I am thinking to apply for the next cohort , do you believe that the AW part would really be more important than the quant and verbal? I am worried that sometimes this is the part of the test that I am struggling to improve.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2018 at 1:00 PM, Ch_E 13 said:

Guys, I am thinking to apply for the next cohort , do you believe that the AW part would really be more important than the quant and verbal? I am worried that sometimes this is the part of the test that I am struggling to improve.

Are you a native English speaker? I've always felt the AW was there more to gauge the reading/writing skills of international students. It behooves to prepare and do the best you can on all sections of the test of course, but I think good verbal and quant scores can compensate for a mediocre writing sample.