Where's Everyone Going? What Factors Drove Those Decisions?

dryheat

Seems like things are slowing down a bit on the Freak-out forum, so, with that in mind, I'm curious where everyone has decided to go and what factors drove those decisions. I'm heading to Ohio State, and the major selling points for me were:

-Three-year program

-Excellent facilities

-Faculty that I was interested in working with

-Full tuition funding

-Assistantship with good stipend

-Interested in what's happening in Columbus and like that there's access to other big cities (Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, etc.) in the area

Edited by dryheat

It's funny that a 3-year program is such a no-go for many, but I'm glad it's working out for you!

I'm still making my final decision between SAIC Sculpture and UPenn - two very different schools. Anyone else considering either one?

Edited by headinspace

I got into the only program I applied for - thankfully! There were a number of factors that made me choose MICA's low-res program, mainly the program structure (I teach, so summer intensives allow me to continue working during the school year), the program faculty, and MICA's prestigious reputation.  This MFA will likely be my last degree, so I really wanted to go somewhere that was at the top of the rankings since my undergrad was at a liberal arts/state college.  Also, it is a four-year low-res program whereas most of them are three years, so I think it'll be great to have that extra summer.

On 6/4/2016 at 11:50 AM, headinspace said:

It's funny that a 3-year program is such a no-go for many, but I'm glad it's working out for you!

I'm still making my final decision between SAIC Sculpture and UPenn - two very different schools. Anyone else considering either one?

Congrats on your admissions!

I was also admitted at SAIC! I'm deciding between that one and Goldsmiths in London, while I wait to hear from NYU (waitlisted there).

What makes you want to go to SAIC? I'm very confused right now on which program (and which city) would be best for me. They both seem to have a great reputation. 

I'm deciding between University of Buffalo, University of Guelph and Oxford.

Oxford is the first choice but I would need to be offered a significant amount of funding to accept.

I visited UB last week and despite really liking everyone there I'm not sure if it's a good fit. I'm not totally keen on living in the US and I may need a more rigorous program which is why I think Guelph will be a better fit. I'm visiting on Monday and will decided between the two afterwards.

I was only accepted into Brooklyn College, but I think I am gonna go! The price is right (tuition so low), great facilities and location and excellent faculty. I cannot wait to work under Vito Acconci.

On 2016-04-07 at 1:28 PM, baai said:

Congrats on your admissions!

I was also admitted at SAIC! I'm deciding between that one and Goldsmiths in London, while I wait to hear from NYU (waitlisted there).

What makes you want to go to SAIC? I'm very confused right now on which program (and which city) would be best for me. They both seem to have a great reputation. 

Congratulations to you too!

After my last visit I decided on UPenn. I like the small size of the program, the amazing and attentive faculty, and its setting within a great research university. Since I have a lot of research interests outside of the field and a background in design, it seems like a great place to support that kind of crossover. I also have more connections within the NE-corridor (New York mainly), that I can see myself building a future in the area.

SAIC is a great school and it was hard to pass up, but it ended up not being the right fit for me. Their facilities are amazing, and there are lots of amazing individuals there, but it is also huge. I know a few graduating students, and from speaking with them my sense is that if you are very tenacious and resourceful you can gain a lot from the school but you can also easily fall through the cracks of a huge institution and find yourself competing with other students for the same resources.

My advice would be to go with your gut instinct and think about which school has best environment and the best people to allow you to grow. In that sense, listening to the advice of others on this forum didn't really help me a lot. In the end I picked a place where the faculty were already very invested in me as an applicant and where I felt I could get the best mentorship from people who are doing what I want to be doing after I finish my MFA. Two years is not that far into the future and I think it's important to set up connections in a place where you might see yourself after graduating.

Good luck! There are no perfect choices but there are no wrong choices either. Go with your gut.

On 2016-04-07 at 1:40 PM, tynnifer said:

I'm deciding between University of Buffalo, University of Guelph and Oxford.

Oxford is the first choice but I would need to be offered a significant amount of funding to accept.

I visited UB last week and despite really liking everyone there I'm not sure if it's a good fit. I'm not totally keen on living in the US and I may need a more rigorous program which is why I think Guelph will be a better fit. I'm visiting on Monday and will decided between the two afterwards.

Guelph is an amazing little town! I did my undergrad there and still love the city. I know a lot of MFA students who studied there while commuting from Toronto, but I would suggest living there if you can. There is an amazing grassroots music scene, cheap rent, lovely neighbourhoods, and it's really easy to get to Toronto on the weekends. Feel free to message me if you're thinking more about it.

If you really like Oxford, don't be afraid to ask for more funding and explain your situation to them as an international applicant - if you want to come but you're not sure how to make it work. At the end of the day, if they've accepted you, they want you to come! Since people are starting to decline offers around this time, there are resources that seem to materialize out of nowhere when you let schools know they are your top choice. I'm not sure what province you're from, but most offer decent funding (loans and grants) for study outside of Canada too.

Good luck with your decision!

On 2016-04-10 at 0:33 PM, headinspace said:

Guelph is an amazing little town! I did my undergrad there and still love the city. I know a lot of MFA students who studied there while commuting from Toronto, but I would suggest living there if you can. There is an amazing grassroots music scene, cheap rent, lovely neighbourhoods, and it's really easy to get to Toronto on the weekends. Feel free to message me if you're thinking more about it.

If you really like Oxford, don't be afraid to ask for more funding and explain your situation to them as an international applicant - if you want to come but you're not sure how to make it work. At the end of the day, if they've accepted you, they want you to come! Since people are starting to decline offers around this time, there are resources that seem to materialize out of nowhere when you let schools know they are your top choice. I'm not sure what province you're from, but most offer decent funding (loans and grants) for study outside of Canada too.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've officially decided to go with Guelph over Buffalo so now I'm just waiting on funding decisions from Oxford. Guelph's MFA program seems so well connected and their initiative towards teaching pedagogy is unmatched from any of the other programs I've researched. What I'm weary about at this point is being too stuck within the Canadian art scene but my goal, if I don't end up going to Oxford for my MFA, is to look at school in the UK for PHD studies in a few years time.

I declined four acceptances, even a full ride and generous stipend. Some wanted my decision too early but overall I did not feel that these programs were the right fit for me. I am on the waitlist for one more school. Is any one else still waiting? 

I'm headed to UC Irvine this fall, within the MFA program but in the Critical & Curatorial Studies concentration (I think there are just 2 of us out of an MFA class that is going to be up to 12. Got to peek at the emails of the admitted students, but not sure how many actually ended up enrolling.) Hate to admit it, but money played the biggest role in my decision. I was offered about 50% scholarship at my top choice, but I'm coming to grad school with a ton of debt already, and just didn't think it was a smart choice. Also, being based in Los Angeles, I don't have to uproot much to start at Irvine. My employer said they will work with me to go part-time when I start my MFA in the fall, so I hope that all works out. If my debt were about half of what it is now, I'd have gone with the top choice--so I think the steep loans are worth considering, if you're not already super burdened. 

On 4/18/2016 at 0:35 PM, radredhead said:

I'm headed to UC Irvine this fall, within the MFA program but in the Critical & Curatorial Studies concentration (I think there are just 2 of us out of an MFA class that is going to be up to 12. Got to peek at the emails of the admitted students, but not sure how many actually ended up enrolling.) Hate to admit it, but money played the biggest role in my decision. I was offered about 50% scholarship at my top choice, but I'm coming to grad school with a ton of debt already, and just didn't think it was a smart choice. Also, being based in Los Angeles, I don't have to uproot much to start at Irvine. My employer said they will work with me to go part-time when I start my MFA in the fall, so I hope that all works out. If my debt were about half of what it is now, I'd have gone with the top choice--so I think the steep loans are worth considering, if you're not already super burdened. 

Hi, 

Congrats! I see you have posted a few threads on curatorial programs. I'm really torn right now between programs...so was hoping if you could give me some advice...

I'm torn between SVA Curatorial Practice (it's a new program with good connections, students will internship at MOMA, Guggenheim if they like) and SFAI Exhibition and Museum Studies (a rather academic/theoretical program).

SVA offered 10,000 scholarship, SFAI offered full scholarship provided I work at university museums and galleries 20 hr/week... Other choices include RCA Curating (no funding, too expensive), Christie's and Sotheby's and CCA Curatorial Practice (no funding, too expensive), and rejection from Bard. 

I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice! 

5 hours ago, hdmof said:

Hi, 

Congrats! I see you have posted a few threads on curatorial programs. I'm really torn right now between programs...so was hoping if you could give me some advice...

I'm torn between SVA Curatorial Practice (it's a new program with good connections, students will internship at MOMA, Guggenheim if they like) and SFAI Exhibition and Museum Studies (a rather academic/theoretical program).

SVA offered 10,000 scholarship, SFAI offered full scholarship provided I work at university museums and galleries 20 hr/week... Other choices include RCA Curating (no funding, too expensive), Christie's and Sotheby's and CCA Curatorial Practice (no funding, too expensive), and rejection from Bard. 

Go with SFAI in my opinion. SVA is a good program (I work there), but it is expensive, you will have tons of debt and from what i understand the curatorial job market is extremely oversaturated. With SFAI you will have less debt and a more academic background. Also, that musuem/gallery experience is vital in being able to get a job. 

Both programs are good though! And you will get a similar experience at either. 

10 hours ago, hdmof said:

Hi, 

Hi! Congrats on getting in to those programs. I don't know much about SFAI, but I did talk to the chair at SVA and they were disappointed I ultimately didn't end up applying. I wasn't interested in their program because it's more practical experience than theory, and I wasn't really looking for that focus. I've worked full-time in arts administration for the previous 2 years, so I was looking to bolster the conceptual side of my practice. It sounds like with your museum & gallery experience, you may benefit from something a bit more conceptual as well? It's also horrendously expensive and I'm hesitant to take on so much debt for a career that isn't very lucrative. That said, their location & connection are really appealing and I think if you're looking for solid internships, they're a good program to consider. I was also accepted to RCA with no funding, and decided not to "yolo" it (well, with Goldsmiths, actually) because I've heard it's extremely difficult to continue living abroad after graduation. Christie's & Sotheby's are very art-markety, so I would stay away from that if you aren't interested in sales.

Good luck!