Institutional Economics - MPA or PhD?

sinha.rohitravi

Question

Hey guys, 

I require some advise here. I am very interested to study institutional economics and organizational behaviour with regard to public institutions. I have done my masters thesis in something got institutional trust, looking at egovernance and how that enhances the perceived trust by ordinary citizens in any public institution. 

With that as my base, I am very keen to pursue and study this area more. I am very keen to do a PhD on this topic, however I am apprehensive about positioning myself to be an academic (i feel a doctoral thesis on a subject that institutional economic would limit my options to academic; please correct me if I am wrong). Which is why I feel a MPA would be more suitable, looking at the easier exit options available. While at MPA, I could select papers and focus my time on institutions theory. Hence the dilemma.

A bit more about my background, I have a decent publication record (disclaimer: a small portion on institutional economy). I have worked 3 years with a national parliamentarian of my country, in entry level research to more senior managerial roles. I also have a stint of about a year in a think tank.

Any suggestions to this effect would be great! 

4 answers to this question

On 3/31/2016 at 11:00 AM, sinha.rohitravi said:

To be entirely honest, I would like to do a PhD simply for the intellectual rigour and depth that one undergoes. And the theme that I would like to do that in is institutional economics. I come from India, and our public administration machinery perpetuates its flaws (i apologize for the major generalization). But this also fascinates me, which makes me want to study this subject further and more deeply. I hope to be a technocrat someday and move in to government to help incorporate changes to the structure.

Yes, I already have a masters, but that is in economics. I am keen to broaden by perspective by studying interdisciplinary subjects - which a MPA would help me get. For all practical reasons, I feel a MPA would open opportunities for me in the development sector. But on a personal level, I feel a PhD is something I want to undertake for its rigour.

Any thoughts on this?

An MPA program may not be the path for development.  You may be looking more at a International Affairs/Relations Program that has a development component.  My MA is in Diplomacy and International Relations and they offered a International Economics and Development specialization as well as a dual degree with a MPA.  You may be able to explore this at the PhD program.  At the end of the day you need to decide where you'd ideally like to land and pick the path that puts you on that trajectory.  Hopefully it will also provide some flexibility. 

You already have a masters degree, so what would be the benefit of doing another one?

Doing a PhD does not only limit your options to being an academic. That's what most people think, but it simply isn't true. Being an academic might be what you're "trained for", but that doesn't mean that no one else will hire you with a PhD.

That said, as @MarkMc just mentioned above, the main question to ask is what your career goals are. Once you know where you want to work (or at least which options you want to pursue), then you can research those jobs and see if you need a PhD or not. Even if you don't need a PhD, you could get one, but remember that it's a very long time and a very large commitment.

To be entirely honest, I would like to do a PhD simply for the intellectual rigour and depth that one undergoes. And the theme that I would like to do that in is institutional economics. I come from India, and our public administration machinery perpetuates its flaws (i apologize for the major generalization). But this also fascinates me, which makes me want to study this subject further and more deeply. I hope to be a technocrat someday and move in to government to help incorporate changes to the structure.

Yes, I already have a masters, but that is in economics. I am keen to broaden by perspective by studying interdisciplinary subjects - which a MPA would help me get. For all practical reasons, I feel a MPA would open opportunities for me in the development sector. But on a personal level, I feel a PhD is something I want to undertake for its rigour.

Any thoughts on this?