Sociology PhD: The New School, Temple, Bowling Green State

I've been admitted with tuition remission to sociology programs at the New School, Temple, and Bowling Green State. Only Temple and Bowling Green State are offering full-funding (18k). The New School is tuition remission only. I live in NYC with a partner of 3 years who is able to support me. The program at Bowling Green is 4 years, Temple is 4 or 5 years, and the New School will require at least 5, but probably longer.

At the moment the best choice seems to be Temple, given its that it's located near enough NYC, the fit, and the funding. But I'm heartbroken to walk away from the New School and concerned that I'm walking away from good research and publishing opportunities at Bowling Green. If anyone, especially any folks in sociology or the social sciences at large (not you, you orthodox economist) have something to offer, it would be really appreciated. I'm lost.

I wouldn't take an offer from a school without full funding, especially not in NYC. Even if your partner can support you, that puts a financial strain on you that's unnecessary, and also - as the above comment pointed out - students who are fully funded sometimes get better attention.

I feel like we need a bit more information - what are the differences between Temple and Bowling Green? Why do you feel like you are walking away from good research at BGSU - did you have a better research fit there?

Echoing others here--I would advise against accepting an offer that is not fully funded. A funding offer is the school putting their money where their mouth is, and it is as close as we can get to a guarantee that the faculty and the school will be invested in you and your success.

Your happiness for the next 4-5 years of your life is important to consider as well--if you're unhappy, you'll ultimately probably produce either fewer or worse publications anyways.

If you are leaning strongly towards Temple and it is a decent school, listen to your gut here. Have you talked to your professors? What did they say about your choices?

Edited by ClassApp

On March 31, 2016 at 2:01 AM, juilletmercredi said:

I wouldn't take an offer from a school without full funding, especially not in NYC. Even if your partner can support you, that puts a financial strain on you that's unnecessary, and also - as the above comment pointed out - students who are fully funded sometimes get better attention.

I feel like we need a bit more information - what are the differences between Temple and Bowling Green? Why do you feel like you are walking away from good research at BGSU - did you have a better research fit there?

Not a great fit at all, but they are a well-resourced department with two research centers.

On March 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM, GradSchoolTruther said:

You usually get more research opportunities and attention as a fully funded student. Do you have a master's already, since Bowling Green's program is five years if you don't have one?

Yes, I do. There would be more readily available opportunities in terms of research and teaching at BGSU and Temple, but the New School for Social Research is internationally renowned and the academic nexus of progressive social and political thought.

If you're not funded, you are a second-class student. Research opportunities tend to go to funded students. As for being the academic nexus of progressive social and political thought, it really isn't if it's relying on people with some wealth to attend the program.

Edited by GradSchoolTruther

I should probably clarify that the New School does not typically fund graduate students. I would venture to guess that on the order of 10% of graduate students are funded, but I've yet to meet one during any of my visits.

Well if Bowling Green isn't a great fit, the resources they have kind of don't matter, right? They're not resources that will help you much because they don't match what you want to do.

This one is probably going to be much more a personal choice than anything else. You do have tuition remission at the New School, which is decent - you'd only have to scrounge up living expenses. "Only" of course is a relative term; living in New York is not cheap. But you already live there with your partner. If they are willing to support you through 5-6 years of graduate school, then that could be a viable option for you - and it does come with the psychological and social peace of mind that living with your partner brings. One could argue that you have to entertain the worst case scenarios - what if you and your partner split up, what if your partner loses their job - but frankly, couples make all kinds of financial decisions on a daily basis that take into account both of their finances and assume that things will continue on as necessary.

So I'll elaborate on my earlier post by saying that I personally would not want to attend a program without funding, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad choice given your circumstances, and especially given the prominence of the New School in social research. To me, another niggle is that the length of the New School is so long - "five years but probably longer." What is the probably longer, and why? That's just a longer period of time that you have to support yourself and potentially borrow (although by the time you finish coursework and are taking exams or writing your dissertation, you may be able to earn some extra money by working part-time and/or adjunct teaching at the many colleges around the New York area).

How does Temple compare to the NS? You say that Temple is the best choice given the fit - is the fit better than the NS? My now-husband and I did long-distance during part of my doctoral program between NYC and central NJ. It's really no trouble at all to get from New York to Philadelphia; you could do it every weekend even if neither of you has a car. And once you got to the dissertation phase you could move to New York if you wanted to, and live with your partner and only commute in weekly or less to meet with your advisor. There are tons of graduate students in the Northeast Corridor with these kinds of arrangements!