Choosing programs

cab120

Help! I'm choosing between two similar programs (PhDs,education, both UCs). With one program, my research interests are very well aligned with my intended advisor. However, I heard the department was somewhat disfunctional and that my advisor can be hard to work with (either love her or hate her). Otherwise, I have way more funding here, the students I've talked to are smart and I'd be able to hone in on a myriad of interests. 

The other school was described by one student as a "huge hug" with a  super supportive vibe. My advisors are great, the people are nice. The program is less specifically tailored to my interests, and in fact no one (faculty or students) are doing research  similar to my own. I'd be able to do my thing by working with other departments and they seem to have lots of opportunities for research apprenticeships, whereas I don't get the same sense from the other program.

I am seriously torn! What matters more- mutually aligned interests or a supportive learning community?? Help!