Fall 2017 Applicants

Cat Time

9 hours ago, rockrmoose said:

Wondering what everyone's amount of work experience is that are applying to MA programs. I graduated in 2015, so by the time I would enter an MA program in 2017, that will have been 2 years of work experience. Do you guys think that's too little?

The average at HGSE is 4 years.  I think it's less at many other schools.  The average at my former CUNY grad program was probably 0-1.  It really depends what kind of program you're going into.  I think 2 years is fine.

52 minutes ago, Vulpix said:

The average at HGSE is 4 years.  I think it's less at many other schools.  The average at my former CUNY grad program was probably 0-1.  It really depends what kind of program you're going into.  I think 2 years is fine.

Well that's good information to know, thank you! In the past few months my interests have changed and I will be applying to the Higher Education/Student Affairs program at University of San Francisco, and the POLS program at Stanford. Hopefully I have a shot at USF at least!

On 9/2/2016 at 2:12 AM, rockrmoose said:

Wondering what everyone's amount of work experience is that are applying to MA programs. I graduated in 2015, so by the time I would enter an MA program in 2017, that will have been 2 years of work experience. Do you guys think that's too little?

I was admitted to the T&L program at HGSE with 2.5 years' work experience (in 2013). 

Haven't posted in awhile, but I finally registered for my GRE and am for some reason intensely nervous about sitting for it! I have been prepping for months - since July - and my scores keep improving *knocks on wood* but I still feel so nervous. 

Side note - the problems with ETS added a completely unnecessary layer of stress but I suppose I will try to relax between now and my exam. 

I've also been picking away at my SOPs, working on my apps, whittling down my schools, and intermittently bothering my professors. I am awaiting the start of the fall quarter and resignedly working part-time as well. How are others managing to keep from going too terribly crazy right now? I can't be the only one.

17 hours ago, ClassicalEducator said:

Haven't posted in awhile, but I finally registered for my GRE and am for some reason intensely nervous about sitting for it! I have been prepping for months - since July - and my scores keep improving *knocks on wood* but I still feel so nervous. 

Side note - the problems with ETS added a completely unnecessary layer of stress but I suppose I will try to relax between now and my exam. 

I've also been picking away at my SOPs, working on my apps, whittling down my schools, and intermittently bothering my professors. I am awaiting the start of the fall quarter and resignedly working part-time as well. How are others managing to keep from going too terribly crazy right now? I can't be the only one.

Going crazy here too, bro. Still have like 4 schools where I haven't contacted a single soul, and I keep postponing due to heavy workload, and it scares me more every passing day. And GRE... Sometimes it's soooo good, but sometimes you just do 20 tasks and get only 10 correct, and that sucks big time. :/

I've just decided to do a bit for my application every day. The structure definitely helps.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

How are everyone's applications going? I've been struggling to chip away at my SOP, making time during the work week is hard.

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone else was doing, and offer commiserations ;)

On 12/10/2016 at 1:32 PM, Lisha said:

Hello!

How are everyone's applications going? I've been struggling to chip away at my SOP, making time during the work week is hard.

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone else was doing, and offer commiserations ;)

I'm mostly cramming for GREs still. I am repassing, and my previous scores are ok, but I really want to have stellar ones, so... I've drafted SoP, but it needs a ton of work. What scares me is - trampampam - the Writing Sample!!! How does one make time for t h a t?

On 23/06/2016 at 1:27 PM, Snuffleupagus said:

Hi Everyone, 

I am a frequent lurker and old user of the boards.  After doing a Fulbright, I declined my offer to do my PhD at UMD in SLA (2014) because I realized I wasn't really thrilled about the program, etc.  I've spent the last two years doing Education Management in Morocco and am currently on an English Language Fellows grant here.  

My research interests are focused on North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) and how language policy here affects education and literacy in a multilingual/multicultural society.  In particular, I am interested in higher education policy/university reforms and how this has produced a class of English speakers in a French environment.  I am also interested in teacher training and evulation practices in the region.  

I am planning on applying to: UPenn (2 programs: Educational Linguistics & Ed Policy), University of Minnesota, NYU, Teacher's College, Stanford, UCLA, Indiana & University of Wisconsin, Madison.  If any of you have other programs I should look at, or think any of these programs isn't a good fit, let me know :D

Hey everyone, for those who are interested in International Education Policy/Development type programs, like those offered by Penn IEDP, HGSE IEP, TC IED, AU ITEP, Vanderbilt IEPM, NYU IE etc... just wanted to put in a plug for the place I ended up in, which was UMass Amherst. I got into other places as well, but UMass, although not so prestigious, is very practitioner-focused and offers the possibility of a great funding package (if you get an assistantship, it covers tuition, and includes a stipend as well as health coverage and benefits), so if you're a mid-career professional and you'd like a program where the faculty are actively involved in development projects, do check it out!

I actually stumbled across the program through one of these forums, so just giving back :)

Info about the Master's degree here: https://www.umass.edu/education/departments/epra/intl-education

The Center for International Education Web site here (for info about classes, faculty, projects, etc): http://www.umass.edu/cie/ - it's a very small program but a lot of experience both among the faculty and the students.

Specifically to Snuffleupagus (I love the original Mr Snuffleupagus, btw!), your interests sound really fascinating. I would point out that UMass Amherst seems to have strong Higher Ed and Educational Assessment programs as well as Intl Ed, so do take a look (you can cross-take classes obviously), though it's probably not as strong in multilingual ed and language policy specifically as somewhere like Penn with Nancy Hornberger or other more cosmopolitan settings. If you happen to be considering UK programs as well, the University of Sussex has a really interesting international education and development program with some big names in the field. Also, are you really not looking at HGSE? Their International Ed Policy (IEP) program seems really awesome (except it's very short), and you would have access to all the great resources of Harvard. Also American University has an International Ed program which is not so policy-focused, but it's Washington DC and you could probably take classes at their School of International Service, which is international development and policy-focused (tho' not specifically education), as well. I don't know who are the relevant experts for North Africa specifically, but these larger universities (HGSE, AU) probably have some... Also you could look for faculty who study sociolinguistics in north africa - another field which investigates things like language policy and multilingualism

Edited by marature

Anyone else applying to M.A. Applied Linguistics/TESOL programs? I'm looking at MIIS, NYU, Columbia, Boston University, and King's College London. If anyone would like to trade SOPs, let me know! 

On 10/13/2016 at 5:56 PM, marature said:

Hey everyone, for those who are interested in International Education Policy/Development type programs, like those offered by Penn IEDP, HGSE IEP, TC IED, AU ITEP, Vanderbilt IEPM, NYU IE etc... just wanted to put in a plug for the place I ended up in, which was UMass Amherst. I got into other places as well, but UMass, although not so prestigious, is very practitioner-focused and offers the possibility of a great funding package (if you get an assistantship, it covers tuition, and includes a stipend as well as health coverage and benefits), so if you're a mid-career professional and you'd like a program where the faculty are actively involved in development projects, do check it out!

I actually stumbled across the program through one of these forums, so just giving back :)

Info about the Master's degree here: https://www.umass.edu/education/departments/epra/intl-education

The Center for International Education Web site here (for info about classes, faculty, projects, etc): http://www.umass.edu/cie/ - it's a very small program but a lot of experience both among the faculty and the students.

Specifically to Snuffleupagus (I love the original Mr Snuffleupagus, btw!), your interests sound really fascinating. I would point out that UMass Amherst seems to have strong Higher Ed and Educational Assessment programs as well as Intl Ed, so do take a look (you can cross-take classes obviously), though it's probably not as strong in multilingual ed and language policy specifically as somewhere like Penn with Nancy Hornberger or other more cosmopolitan settings. If you happen to be considering UK programs as well, the University of Sussex has a really interesting international education and development program with some big names in the field. Also, are you really not looking at HGSE? Their International Ed Policy (IEP) program seems really awesome (except it's very short), and you would have access to all the great resources of Harvard. Also American University has an International Ed program which is not so policy-focused, but it's Washington DC and you could probably take classes at their School of International Service, which is international development and policy-focused (tho' not specifically education), as well. I don't know who are the relevant experts for North Africa specifically, but these larger universities (HGSE, AU) probably have some... Also you could look for faculty who study sociolinguistics in north africa - another field which investigates things like language policy and multilingualism

Thanks for this! I haven't looked at UMass but definitely will now. I have been checking out the website and can't seem to find information more specific to admissions than that it is necessary to complete the online app and have two years of work experience. Do you know where I could find more information? Thanks so much for your help!

Quick question for those applying for MA programs- are you all making contact with professors? Does anyone have insight into how important that may be for MA applicants? I have POI's for each school I am applying to, but am unsure of whether or not I should be reaching out, as I am only applying for MA programs.

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

18 hours ago, cokpala said:

Quick question for those applying for MA programs- are you all making contact with professors? Does anyone have insight into how important that may be for MA applicants? I have POI's for each school I am applying to, but am unsure of whether or not I should be reaching out, as I am only applying for MA programs.

I did this for Columbia but not for any of the other schools to which I applied (but that was a special case because the professor was best friends with my LOR writer and so she put me in contact with her).  Some professors (at Harvard for sure) have a rule about not speaking with prospective students until they are admitted (although some are willing), just because of the sheer volume of emails and their desire to prioritize focus on current/incoming students.  I don't think it's necessary to do this for a MA, and would make no difference on your admissions.

Edited by Vulpix

I didn't reach out to anyone for my master's or PhD applications (though for the PhD I think that was a bad idea). For reference, I was applying to master's programs at Stanford, Columbia, Harvard, and Vanderbilt, and I got into all but Stanford. 

On 16/10/2016 at 11:34 PM, cokpala said:

Thanks for this! I haven't looked at UMass but definitely will now. I have been checking out the website and can't seem to find information more specific to admissions than that it is necessary to complete the online app and have two years of work experience. Do you know where I could find more information? Thanks so much for your help!

Yeah it's a bit confusing, there is more info on the CIE web site than on the College of Ed web site.

Check out: http://www.umass.edu/cie/admissions/how-to-apply

and the associated pages. Happy looking! Also, don't hesitate to call or email - the Admissions Coordinator is a really nice guy.

On 16/10/2016 at 11:37 PM, cokpala said:

From what I hear, it's not essential but doesn't do any harm. Just remember faculty are very busy people, so keep it short :) . I wrote to a HGSE prof and got a very civil reply, so that was nice. I was introduced by a mutual contact to a prof from another program and didn't get a response, tho' they had said they would answer questions. So it can be hit or miss... For what it's worth, one program required a faculty interview, and I think that really helped me because the faculty member's interests and mine were closely aligned so I think they really helped to advocate for me (just conjecture, I don't actually know what went on behind-the-scenes!)

3 hours ago, day_manderly said:

Guys, I am trying to frame my interests correctly in my SoP: does 'research in the field of international higher education' sound good?

For a PhD, I assume you're going to say what KIND of research in the field of international higher education.  But as a phrase itself, that sounds fine to me :)

3 hours ago, Vulpix said:

For a PhD, I assume you're going to say what KIND of research in the field of international higher education.  But as a phrase itself, that sounds fine to me :)

Ahaha, no, I was going to start my SoP with a childhood story, and then be really, really, really vague about my research plans. ;):D Yes, now when I am looking at the phrase, it seems ok, too. Perhaps, application anxiety is already working its way into my brain.

Hello all, 

I am only applying to the fall '17 M.A. programs at NYU and Columbia because of their proximity to home which will allow me to live with my parents thereby cutting costs. I am writing to humbly ask if anyone can offer advice to offset a low undergrad GPA (2.95)? I finished undergrad more than a year early but my Bachelor's degree was not in education. I earned my teaching certification through an alternative certification program here in the States and have been teaching primary school at an international school abroad for 6 years. I have also earned a solid GRE score (170 V / 158 Q). I am working to compose a perspicuous, perspicacious Statement of Purpose and I will be receiving three strong letters of recommendation from supervisors. What else should I consider to bolster my application and show the admissions committee that I am both dedicated to and capable of successfully completing a rigorous graduate education program? 

I do realize this is a frequently discussed topic on the forum so please forgive me for opening it up again, but I proceed because I am not alone in my concerns and with the perpetual influx of new users to the board, this post may catch the attention of someone who has been in similar circumstances and can provide some little-known insight. If you have any helpful thoughts beyond what is typically recommended (explain low GPA in SOP, visit campus), please share them here or PM me. Your time and input are sincerely appreciated.

Edited by yellow1963

On 27/10/2016 at 7:38 AM, yellow1963 said:

Hello all, 

I am only applying to the fall '17 M.A. programs at NYU and Columbia because of their proximity to home which will allow me to live with my parents thereby cutting costs. I am writing to humbly ask if anyone can offer advice to offset a low undergrad GPA (2.95)? I finished undergrad more than a year early but my Bachelor's degree was not in education. I earned my teaching certification through an alternative certification program here in the States and have been teaching primary school at an international school abroad for 6 years. I have also earned a solid GRE score (170 V / 158 Q). I am working to compose a perspicuous, perspicacious Statement of Purpose and I will be receiving three strong letters of recommendation from supervisors. What else should I consider to bolster my application and show the admissions committee that I am both dedicated to and capable of successfully completing a rigorous graduate education program? 

I do realize this is a frequently discussed topic on the forum so please forgive me for opening it up again, but I proceed because I am not alone in my concerns and with the perpetual influx of new users to the board, this post may catch the attention of someone who has been in similar circumstances and can provide some little-known insight. If you have any helpful thoughts beyond what is typically recommended (explain low GPA in SOP, visit campus), please share them here or PM me. Your time and input are sincerely appreciated.

I would devote a certain amount of time to your CV to really showcase what you've done. That would be that, as everything else looks wonderful.

I have a small question of my own. I passed GRE twice:

1st time: V165, Q154 AWA 4.0

2nd time: V166 Q152 AWA 4.5.

Which one should I send? Obviously, there is no time to repass. The first one has stronger Q (by 2 points, but still), the second - stronger AWA. I'm leaning towards the 2nd. What do you guys think?

Edited by day_manderly

3 minutes ago, vaporeon said:

@day_manderly I would say 2nd, but one thing to think about: does that 2 point difference in quant mean a much larger difference in percentile ranking? 

I think like from 50smth to 47 :(.

AWA's improvement also makes a difference though...

Edited by day_manderly

7 hours ago, day_manderly said:

I have a small question of my own. I passed GRE twice:

1st time: V165, Q154 AWA 4.0

2nd time: V166 Q152 AWA 4.5.

Which one should I send? Obviously, there is no time to repass. The first one has stronger Q (by 2 points, but still), the second - stronger AWA. I'm leaning towards the 2nd. What do you guys think?

I know schools like HGSE definitely value the AWA more than the Q....  I'd go with the 2nd too.