Where is everyone officially going? Why? (fall 2016)

Vulpix

It's been so valuable to bounce ideas off everyone here the last few months!  I want to know everyone's decisions as they finalize, and your ultimate reasons. This may be helpful to future students too! So when you have decided, please share!

HGSE:  Most affordable option (for me), amazing practical opportunities in the classroom, quality of faculty, unparalleled career services office and general resources/network of opportunity.  Getting the chance to meet my future classmates at the Open House made me realize the amazing quality of people who will be there.

Edited by Heather1011

Penn State: When I visited, it felt more immediately like home than any other school so far. The faculty are excited about me and my research, and the program is small (compared to say, TC). They produce a ton, but manage to be supportive rather than hyper-competitive, and faculty are very open/generous about including grad students as authors. I was impressed by how much individual attention I got from everyone in the department, and by all of the opportunities for student leadership and involvement. Psyched, overall. :D

Houston - loved the program, option for online classes, graduate assistantships (at the masters level!) that pretty much gets me a full ride in tuition. Located in a city that I want to eventually work and settle down in. Loved the campus. Suuuuper excited! :D

I've been accepted to UT-Austin and UWisc-Madison.  Waiting (not so patiently) for Wisconsin to finalize my funding.  Hoping that's where I end up.

Had really great conversations with professors in both departments.  Both are top notch academically.  Wisconsin is definitely much more cost efficient for a family (5 of us).  

Seattle University: As soon as I visited campus, I felt an immediate "fit" and the faculty and staff were very welcoming. In a sense, I felt at home and welcomed right away, and the internship opportunities seem very promising and exciting. 

On 4/6/2016 at 0:34 PM, Denominator said:

I've been accepted to UT-Austin and UWisc-Madison.  Waiting (not so patiently) for Wisconsin to finalize my funding.  Hoping that's where I end up.

Which dept at UT Austin? I'm thinking of applying there for Ed.D in the future.

On 4/6/2016 at 9:23 AM, dancedementia said:

Houston - loved the program, option for online classes, graduate assistantships (at the masters level!) that pretty much gets me a full ride in tuition. Located in a city that I want to eventually work and settle down in. Loved the campus. Suuuuper excited! :D

I did some graduate work in math at UH. The campus really is beautiful.  I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Houston area as well.  It'll be weird leaving this fall.

UChicago! (Sociology PhD with an IES fellowship to study Education Sciences)

I *love* the school and the city, and the IES fellowship is sweet (the interdisciplinary community, the training, and of course the $$$ are all great)!

Honestly I don't consider myself much of a sociologist (yet) but I went to UChicago undergrad so I know that the school as a whole is really committed to urban and/or education-focused research. Since the Sociology program is super flexible in terms of coursework, I can take classes in pretty much any department. This is not the outcome I anticipated when I started this process, but I'm so happy it's worked out this way!