GRE score for statistics programs

rack_attack124

Hey, anyone know what GRE score is good enough for most stat programs? 

I got 161 quant (80th percentile) and 159 V (81st percentile). 4.0 AW

So far my score has NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH! I have been rejected from Vanderbilt  masters quantitative methods in psychology. The director is an alum from my school and he said that my GRE score was lower than that of students who were admitted. I already took this stupid exam twice. Not sure if I would improve on the third try. My GPA was 3.40 so decent but not amazing. I took a sh*t ton of science classes and that brought it down. I'm looking at statistics because job placement is great. Can easily complete linear algebra over summer along with any other prereqs. 

I'm looking at applying maybe to UNC MA in Statistics. The coordinator told me to try to get above 80th percentile but wow I only got 80th percentile. I used to think I was good at math but let me tell you some of the questions on the GRE were real b*tches of questions. Seems like people who studied engineering did best on quant section. Doesn't surprise me. I was a psych major but BS so like I said I took all the bio, chemistry, and physics lol. 

Btw, I went to UNC undergrad. I'm a resident so I want that in-state tuition. :) I would have looked at UVA but deadlines passed already. UNC's deadline is April 12. I have also been waitlisted at Columbia but not the stat program. QMSS. I don't know if I want to pay 80000 so not sure about it. I don't even have an admission yet. I also saw Columbia's deadline for their statistics program is in May. I emailed them asking about my scores and stuff. No response yet but it's the weekend. 

Your score may be 80th percentile overall, but as you have heard from the horse's mouth, it's below average for many of the programs you are applying to.  Overall, for people who declare an interest in "mathematical sciences," the average Q score is 162 and nearly half score 165 or above.  More than one in ten get a perfect 170.  Those numbers are going to be even higher at top programs - for example, Duke masters admits had an average Q GRE of 168 two years ago and 167 last year. https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/statistical-science-master-s-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

There's no answer to what is "good enough."  If Duke has an average of 167, that means there are a lot of people who got in with scores in the low to mid 160s.  However, the rest of their applications were probably bulletproof.  Given that your GPA is marginal, that means you need AMAZING letters of recommendation and statement of purpose to overcome grades and test scores.

Edited by DC1020