GWU Elliott 2nd Year Ask Away!

Hi- I'm currently a second year at Elliott in International Affairs--I know many of you are in the process of choosing between schools, and can give an insider perspective for what it's worth.  I came to GradCafe often when deciding which school to attend and hope to pay it back a bit.  

Hey @chistinexo87, thanks for doing this. I was accepted into the elliot school's security studies program. But my question actually is for a friend of mine who applied to the International Development program and hasn't heard back yet. She applied by the priority deadline, but still hasn't heard back yet, even after contacting the office of admissions several times. Do you know anything about the application process regarding this? Is this a de-facto rejection? 

This might not be quite the question you were hoping to field first, so I apologize for that, but my friend is pretty distressed about the ambiguity of the situation. 

Thanks for your time!

@chistinexo87, I'm planning on going to the ESIA and SAIS open houses this week, but I'd love to get your input on what made ESIA a better program for you.

To me, ESIA it sounds like a great program with lots of opportunities similar to SAIS, some of the only major differences being the name brand, alumni network, and number of econ courses required for graduation. I'm torn because ESIA is cheaper and will give me a better fellowship, but everyone I've spoken to says SAIS is just the better choice. I'm wondering how you made your decision to go to ESIA. Did you apply to other schools? What were your scholarship/fellowship offers? Anything else that affected your choice? 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, chistinexo87 said:

Hi- I'm currently a second year at Elliott in International Affairs--I know many of you are in the process of choosing between schools, and can give an insider perspective for what it's worth.  I came to GradCafe often when deciding which school to attend and hope to pay it back a bit.  

Yay! I'm attending the Elliott School in the fall! I am in the MIPP program, so it is is shorter and I don't have a lot of time to take a bunch of different electives... what is your focus and what are your favorite courses? I want to make sure I don't miss out on any must-take classes! 

I am also seeking answers to the last two questions posted if someone who is currently at the Elliott School could answer them.

Working while studying: If anyone at Elliott is currently doing this, please let me know how it is working out with a full course load (three courses each semester). I'm very curious whether it is possible to work 40 hours a week and also not worry about classes. I don't have a wife or kids and would likely end up living near Foggy Bottom if I head to GWU but it's always good to get advice from someone who has done the same thing.

Sense of community: I would expect there not to be much of a sense of community at the Elliott School simply because it is oriented toward people who are working/interning during the day- and there really isn't a campus there. This is another great question.

Thanks.

On April 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM, DerekP said:

I am also seeking answers to the last two questions posted if someone who is currently at the Elliott School could answer them.

Working while studying: If anyone at Elliott is currently doing this, please let me know how it is working out with a full course load (three courses each semester). I'm very curious whether it is possible to work 40 hours a week and also not worry about classes. I don't have a wife or kids and would likely end up living near Foggy Bottom if I head to GWU but it's always good to get advice from someone who has done the same thing.

Sense of community: I would expect there not to be much of a sense of community at the Elliott School simply because it is oriented toward people who are working/interning during the day- and there really isn't a campus there. This is another great question.

Thanks.

I have been told numerous times by admissions  and current students that 9-10 credit hours is "totally doable" with a full-time job or internship... if you limit distractions. This is what I will do. 

In terms of a sense of community, and Elliott not having a campus, that's not true. Elliott is on campus of GWU at Foggy Bottom. Courses are spread around campus and not all in the   Elliott building. Here's my point of view on "sense of community."  It is what you make it. If you tend to stay to yourself and not be social or get out, then you will not feel a sense of community. But if you make an effort to be social, go to a couple Thursday night happy hours with classmates, and look for opportunities to "join in," then you will feel s sense of community. There are TONS of events to take part in to meet people and have fun  

Thats my no BS point of view. :)

On 4/6/2016 at 7:15 AM, ub3rmensch said:

Since the classes are in the evening, does everyone have a job/internship during the school year? Are the internships all paid? And does this make it harder to study for courses with the limited time? 

Judging from the open house and having interned/worked along side Elliott students, I can tell you that the vast majority of students are interning/working during the school year. The fact that's hard to swallow is that many, I would say upwards of 50%, of the internships are unpaid.

In regards to time management I figure (based on my time in DC and the student panel at the open house) you would end up doing one of the following options: 1. Intern 15-30 hours/week and study full time 2. Intern/work 40 hours/week and be a full-time student (forgo your free time altogether) 3. Work/intern 40 hours/week and be a part-time student -- you can correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I believe being a part-time student you'll graduate in 3 years.

1 hour ago, Pichichi said:

Judging from the open house and having interned/worked along side Elliott students, I can tell you that the vast majority of students are interning/working during the school year. The fact that's hard to swallow is that many, I would say upwards of 50%, of the internships are unpaid.

In regards to time management I figure (based on my time in DC and the student panel at the open house) you would end up doing one of the following options: 1. Intern 15-30 hours/week and study full time 2. Intern/work 40 hours/week and be a full-time student (forgo your free time altogether) 3. Work/intern 40 hours/week and be a part-time student -- you can correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I believe being a part-time student you'll graduate in 3 years.

I concur :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 8:33 PM, ESIAGradStudentSPS16-18 said:

I have been told numerous times by admissions  and current students that 9-10 credit hours is "totally doable" with a full-time job or internship... if you limit distractions. This is what I will do. 

Just want to say, it's reassuring to hear this. My plan is also to enroll 9 hours in the fall while keeping my full time job - glad I'm not the only one! :)