Do extra credits increase masters attendance cost?

I've been studying outside the US and I am now admitted in a few US Masters programs and trying to figure out the credits system. Basically, they all say something like "30 credits must be completed", does this mean there should be exactly 30 or can I take something like 33 without additional cost as long as I can handle the course load? 

33 minutes ago, carroter said:

I've been studying outside the US and I am now admitted in a few US Masters programs and trying to figure out the credits system. Basically, they all say something like "30 credits must be completed", does this mean there should be exactly 30 or can I take something like 33 without additional cost as long as I can handle the course load? 

Depends on the university. Some charge per credit hour, some offer a full tuition rate that includes taking up to a certain amount of credit hours per semester.

Just now, GradSchoolTruther said:

Depends on the university. Some charge per credit hour, some offer a full tuition rate that includes taking up to a certain amount of credit hours per semester.

My admission letter simply lists the tuition cost and doesn't mention a single thing about credits. Can't find anything about it on their FAQ either. I'm talking about Cornell (MEng Computer Science) if that helps.

Just now, GradSchoolTruther said:

Email the department.

I did, but I thought I'd ask here while waiting. Presumably, there are other people in similar situations who understand the system better :)

Edited by carroter

You're asking about a specific department at a specific school. You've already been told that this is not a situation where there is just one answer, so you need to get information directly from the department. This is not a place where you just want to rely on internet strangers for information, because that could be costly. If this is a school that will pay for exactly 30 credits and you take 33 because someone on the internet told you it was ok, you may end up paying a lot of money. Since you've already emailed the department, I also don't see what speculations here could do to help you. You'll just have to wait and see.