Linear algebra

Anyone taken linear algrebra? I have a psychology background. I'm trying to take linear algebra because I want to study something quantitative and it's a prerequisite for most places. Curious for anyone's experience with it. I would be taking it at UNC summer school. 

The difficulty of the course can vary a lot based on where you take it. It's somewhat abstract when taught at the intro level as you just learn a bunch of rules without necessarily understanding the proofs behind them. I took an online version through Northern Virginia CC and it was quite easy—the homework was much harder than the tests.

12 hours ago, Nate W said:

The difficulty of the course can vary a lot based on where you take it. It's somewhat abstract when taught at the intro level as you just learn a bunch of rules without necessarily understanding the proofs behind them. I took an online version through Northern Virginia CC and it was quite easy—the homework was much harder than the tests.

Idk I got an A- in multivariable calculus so I'm hoping I crush linear algebra. My parents are engineers. Maybe some of their intelligence will transfer to me lol

The linear algebra class I took was not too tough.  I missed a lot of classes for grad school interviews, but the concepts are all basic algebra and the nuances are easily extracted from the textbook.  Calc concepts didn't help me that much.  GRE prep actually helped more.  What was way useful was not being intimidated by summation notation.  That, I got from my Psych stats classes.  If you were fine with the math and concepts in Psych stats, you will be fine.  The only difference in a math class is that you will have to get your hands dirty more often.  We did a crash course in linear algebra math in Multivariate Stats, which helped me a bit in accepting the concepts in linear algebra but I don't think it was hugely beneficial.  I would have felt prepared enough understanding ANOVA and multiple-regression formulas. 

Edited by another_time

I Majored in math in undergrad, and I took linear algebra at two different schools as the first school's course didn't transfer. I would absolutely take the class if you plan on taking any courses that get deeper on the theoretical side of statistics.

As the other commenters have said there isn't a ton of crossover from calc, but I found it on the whole to be an easier class, but that's just my own personal experience.

Linear algebra is a weird one, because it's kind of different from a lot of math classes you've probably taken (you've probably encountered matrices before, which is a great foundation). I started in psychology then switched to statistics but took linear algebra to study quantitative psychology. My class was super conceptual and it was a little tricky for me to wrap my head around, but we also had a visiting professor and I think he thought we had taken another pre req class that we hadn't actually taken. It sounds like you're mathematically minded and don't have a ton of other classes to focus on, so you should be fine!

• 1 month later...

If you are in CSE or ECE, you may be interested in this linear algebra book: "Coding the Matrix: Linear Algebra through Applications to Computer Science," by  Philip N. Klein.