Help-acceptance/decline question

skeeterjo

Hi,

I have a dilemma. I have been accepted for MA degree at an average university. This offer expires March 28th. I am at the top of the waitlist for a top 5 program for a PHD. I have been in contact with both universities. The MA university advisor is telling me to go ahead and sign and that he will let me out of the deal should I get the PhD offer. The Phd university is telling me to contact them before signing anywhere else (they have gone to the waitlist every year) I hate to let the MA go and then have the PhD offer fail. I am thinking that there is something very wrong about accepting and declining and that doing so could potentially nix the Phd offer. Any thoughts??

I have already asked for an extension from the MA program and was told that there are no extensions but that they would let me out later if Phd offer comes through. I sort of think that the PhD school might have a problem with this but maybe I am overreacting.

That sounds really stressful. I can't believe the MA program gave you such a weird deadline! Yikes!

Did you tell the PhD school specifically about the MA weird deadline, and the MA school's agreement that they would let you out if you get into the PhD program? I wonder if when they said "tell us before signing," they were imagining this weird MA situation, or not. If you decide to sign with the MA program, I'd try to get the MA school to put the "let you out with no hard feelings" into writing, as part of the acceptance offer you sign. Is that too pushy? Seems like it shouldn't be, since they're being so pushy about the deadline.

So, if the PhD school doesn't know about the MA deadline situation specifically, I'd consider telling them about it and see what they say. If they do know about the situation, and still say "don't sign without telling us," then....that makes it more difficult, because it implies that signing with the MA program changes the PhD program's reception toward you. Gosh, what a difficult situation!

How much do you really like the MA program? In the end, it seems important to weigh your interests when choosing what to do.

Hope this helps a little! :) Best of luck!!!

Is the MA program offering you funding? Where do students that complete the MA program go afterwards? Do they get into top programs? How compatible are you with your potential advisor for the MA program? How happy would you be attending that university and living in that city?

Just try to imagine that you accepted the MA program and had to attend there. Would you be happy/satisfied or depressed/sad/unsatisfied?

Thanks for the advice. Both programs offer full funding. The Phd program is where I really want to go and I have decided to honestly present my case to the PhD university. The MA University has emailed me that they would let me out of the offer if I want to go elsewhere. That being said I do believe that I would not receive an offer from the PhD university if they found out if I signed with the MA university. I am sure that this has happened to others in previous years.

I really want to go to the PhD university and think that I will hang in there. If nothing else the PhD school is in a beautiful state (warm too)! :lol: