Rejected Schools asking for which I chose

Pang

Question

Hi, 

I was wondering how all of you guys are dealing with the school that you rejected asking which alternative you chose.  I know in the business world, you never tell but I wasn't sure if that standard still holds in the academia as well. 

What do you guys think? 

Thanks. 

3 answers to this question

This is not a secret. You will appear on your department's "people" page and your affiliation will appear on every presentation and talk that you give. If you have papers, it'll appear there too. I see no harm in telling them; they can find out themselves anyway. 

Hi there!

After accepting an offer from the school that I'll be attending, I emailed my waitlisted schools to ask to be removed from the waitlist and my other acceptances to let them know that I would be declining the offer. All four waitlisted places asked where I am going and I told them, but my other acceptances did not. I think in academia, many schools and programs want to know where they stand among students and in comparison with competing schools, so I don't think it would hurt you any if you told them (nicely) where you're going, but you're certainly not required to.

Edited by magnanimous