i want to send my LOR a thank you gift

i'm meeting her next week for coffee/lunch and i'd like to give her a small gift to thank her for her support (she submitted 9 LORs, read my SOP and most importantly, being supportive all the way). you know, i think a small gift in the festive season would be nice. any gift ideas?

*she's in her 60s.

I got mine gift certificates to this vegetarian restaurant in this town (for 2 of them, who I know like to eat there and who are vegetarian) and a gift certificate to a local wine shop.

I should clarify that my 3 LOR writers were also the three members of my MA thesis committee, and that I got them these gifts after I had defended and submitted my MA thesis. I didn't get them a separate gift for the applications...

Edited by rising_star
to add more info

I would get her a planted, non-bloomed red amaryllis bulb, goes well with the holidays. It is very dramatic and beautiful when it opens up. Just avoid cheesy holiday plants like poinsettias etc -)

I would get her a planted, non-bloomed red amaryllis bulb, goes well with the holidays. It is very dramatic and beautiful when it opens up. Just avoid cheesy holiday plants like poinsettias etc -)

although I'd love to receive flowers as gifts, I don't think it's something for her. She is a frequent traveller so I don't think she has time to look after plants :P

I'm so mad at myself, I meant to buy cookie mix at the store tonight and make them to give to my LOR writers tomorrow along with a thank you note (it's the last day of classes tomorrow). And...I forgot.

Oh well, guess it's just a thank you note :)

Here's a blog post with a professor's point of view: http://science-professor.blogspot.com/2009/12/gifted.html

However, I may bake my PI and rest of the lab some peanut butter cookies (and maybe try my hand at some oatmeal raisin, too). Otherwise, I think a thank note will suffice.

i'm getting my LOR writers small edible/drinkable things-- chocolates and tea for the two i'll be able to give something to in person, and a starbucks card for the one i have to mail something too. along with a heartfelt thank you note, of course. if they don't want these things kids, spouses, the dog, etc can always eat them. i was thinking maybe a fun book for my one letter writer. i'm keeping it under twenty bucks so it's not like an OMGZ HUGE DEAL but they did so much for me and i wouldn't have made it without the support of these people, so they certainly deserve a little something they can enjoy.

i'm meeting her next week for coffee/lunch and i'd like to give her a small gift to thank her for her support (she submitted 9 LORs, read my SOP and most importantly, being supportive all the way). you know, i think a small gift in the festive season would be nice. any gift ideas?

*she's in her 60s.

A thank you card...I thought that was the standard choice.

Hmm, I'm struggling with this myself. My first inclination is a nice bottle of scotch, but I don't think that says the right things about me or them =x

This is a particular challenge for me because 2 of my LOR profs are married to each other. I guess just that means I need a generic gift for the both of them, but that feels impersonal. I can think of books to get 1 of them, but then I have to get a book for the other as well, and no idea on the 2nd. Maybe DVDs? Ken McMullen's Ghost Dance, featuring the Derrida cameo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmu3uwqzbI&feature=related

I would stick with either a thank you card or something home-made and meaningful..

Nothing of value unless you're very close and know it would be appropriate + appreciated. (i.e, I wouldn't get scotch unless you know they love scotch and/or have been out drinking with them, and don't show up with red label).

I really want to send a gift to my LOR. They wrote me the recommendation for both last year and this year and gave me helpful advice and encouragement.

However, I am away from the country and we mostly have communicated through emails. The ony thing I can think of is sending them a thank you ecard, but I don't know if it is kidda informal to do.

Are there any other things I can do to thank them?