Thinking of Making a Serious Change to my Application Process

gazelle

I'm currently in the process of applying for IR degrees. I want to go into the nonprofit/development or energy/environment sector, with a focus on Japan.

I've finished applications for IR/PS and SIPA, and am in the process of applying for NYU and Syracuse.

However, with Syracuse as the second most expensive program, and as my last choice, I can't seem to get too enthusiastic about it, to the point where even if it was my only acceptance I am starting to think I wouldn't go. Additionally its deadline isn't until after I should presumably hear back from IR/PS, which I would definitely take in a heartbeat over Syracuse.

Now as I'm spending more time researching NYU's MAIR through GSAS, as I put together my materials and do more extensive research compared to the initial process of looking at schools, I'm discovering that this program (which is housed within the political science department) just doesn't seem to fit my needs as well as I initially thought; being part of the political science department instead of being a standalone department, it focuses a lot more heavily on political theory, and general theory at that; other programs like SIPA and IR/PS of course have specialization tracks and regional focuses, much better suited to my needs.

I'm thinking of telling my letter writers to just scrap the letters for NYU and Syracuse, but I'm not sure if I should do that; it may make me look like I didn't research this enough (perhaps this is true), and even worse it may make me just look lazy and like I don't want to finish the two applications, and this may reflect poorly on me when they write their letters for UCSD/Columbia.

However, the more I think about it the more I think that SIPA or IR/PS are the only two programs I would really want to attend, to the point where if I received rejections from both (highly plausible) I would try to strengthen my application over the next year and apply again rather than go to NYU/Syracuse.

Thoughts on axing two programs out of my four at this point?

I'm currently in the process of applying for IR degrees. I want to go into the nonprofit/development or energy/environment sector, with a focus on Japan.

I've finished applications for IR/PS and SIPA, and am in the process of applying for NYU and Syracuse.

However, with Syracuse as the second most expensive program, and as my last choice, I can't seem to get too enthusiastic about it, to the point where even if it was my only acceptance I am starting to think I wouldn't go. Additionally its deadline isn't until after I should presumably hear back from IR/PS, which I would definitely take in a heartbeat over Syracuse.

Now as I'm spending more time researching NYU's MAIR through GSAS, as I put together my materials and do more extensive research compared to the initial process of looking at schools, I'm discovering that this program (which is housed within the political science department) just doesn't seem to fit my needs as well as I initially thought; being part of the political science department instead of being a standalone department, it focuses a lot more heavily on political theory, and general theory at that; other programs like SIPA and IR/PS of course have specialization tracks and regional focuses, much better suited to my needs.

I'm thinking of telling my letter writers to just scrap the letters for NYU and Syracuse, but I'm not sure if I should do that; it may make me look like I didn't research this enough (perhaps this is true), and even worse it may make me just look lazy and like I don't want to finish the two applications, and this may reflect poorly on me when they write their letters for UCSD/Columbia.

However, the more I think about it the more I think that SIPA or IR/PS are the only two programs I would really want to attend, to the point where if I received rejections from both (highly plausible) I would try to strengthen my application over the next year and apply again rather than go to NYU/Syracuse.

Thoughts on axing two programs out of my four at this point?

Considering that you wouldn't go to either program even if they were your only option, I would say go for it.

First of all, I think that it's in your interest to concentrate your efforts on the programs that you'd actually go to, not to mention save the money on app fees. Concerning your reservations, the absolute worst thing that could happen is them questioning your choices; it's more likely that they'll affirm that UCSD/Columbia are programs that you'd actually attend (not to mention that they'd be relieved have less writing to do).

I've gone through a relatively similar experience. Now that I'm actually getting deep into the application process I'm realizing that certain schools that I thought sounded like I'd like to go to really just don't fit with what I'm looking to do. I've narrowed my list from 7 down to 4 in just the last couple days. All four I would be willing and happy to attend. What worries me is that none of them is a "safety school", but I'm okay with that for the reason you stated: if I don't get in to any of them, I can always apply a year later. After all, this isn't like applying to undergrad where, for the most part, you HAVE to go to a college after senior year, it's just a matter of which one. And frankly, these programs are just far too expensive for me to "settle" on one that is only marginally satisfying.

I've narrowed my list from 7 down to 4 in just the last couple days. All four I would be willing and happy to attend. What worries me is that none of them is a "safety school", but I'm okay with that for the reason you stated: if I don't get in to any of them, I can always apply a year later. After all, this isn't like applying to undergrad where, for the most part, you HAVE to go to a college after senior year, it's just a matter of which one. And frankly, these programs are just far too expensive for me to "settle" on one that is only marginally satisfying.

I'm definitely with you on this, thrombo. I think that going to professional schools to get degrees like an MPP or MPA is really voluntary. I just look at the opportunity cost of going to school: I have a good job, and good opportunities on the horizon (though not directly in my chosen field) if I don't go to school. So I think about public policy school as costing me 2 years' salary + tuition + cost of living. So I'm not applying anywhere lightly!

I have three schools on my list (none of which is close to a safety!), and if I don't get in to any of them, my plan is to wait another year and try again. Without school, it would be a lot harder to make my planned career transition, but I would rather work for a year closer to my planned field to enhance my application to the top programs than settle for some place that's not right for me.

So I'll have my fingers crossed very tightly in March-April when the adcoms start getting back to us!

I went ahead and emailed my letter recommenders last night to tell them I'd changed my mind and would not apply to NYU or Syracuse. No responses yet, but I'm thinking they will be favorable.

So, I guess that means I'm done with my apps since I am done with both UCSD and Columbia as of last Thursday, which feels good. I have a LOT more free time now, which is great since I've been doing grad school stuff hard since July or thereabouts.

I just hope I didn't jinx myself at SIPA or IR/PS by not forging ahead with additional apps to other places......sure feels like I put all my eggs in one basket, but I know those schools are where I want to go.

I went ahead and emailed my letter recommenders last night to tell them I'd changed my mind and would not apply to NYU or Syracuse. No responses yet, but I'm thinking they will be favorable.

So, I guess that means I'm done with my apps since I am done with both UCSD and Columbia as of last Thursday, which feels good. I have a LOT more free time now, which is great since I've been doing grad school stuff hard since July or thereabouts.

I just hope I didn't jinx myself at SIPA or IR/PS by not forging ahead with additional apps to other places......sure feels like I put all my eggs in one basket, but I know those schools are where I want to go.

You might be putting all of your eggs in one (well... 2) basket(s), but the other 2 baskets you were considering were poor-quality to begin with.

OK, bad metaphor. But you get what I mean. You weren't going to go to those anyways, so you made the right decision!

I had spoken with my recommendation writers about letters previously, but had not actually sent them the recommendation request forms, so I am now letting them know to expect emails from the 4 schools I am applying.

And Batingnolles - I think we are in the exact same position. I have a job I'm content with, and in this economy, that's not a bad thing, but it's not directly in my field I want to be in and I'm looking to grad school to make that transition. Although, if I don't get into one of my target schools this time around, I won't by default apply next year, but rather will probably try to get another job elsewhere and if by this time next year something hasn't worked out, then it's grad school apps round two.

I had spoken with my recommendation writers about letters previously, but had not actually sent them the recommendation request forms, so I am now letting them know to expect emails from the 4 schools I am applying.

With our small pool of applications and lack of safety schools between us, we will probably be the ones starting all the "When are we going to hear from them??" postings waaay too early in the spring next year :D

• 2 weeks later...

With our small pool of applications and lack of safety schools between us, we will probably be the ones starting all the "When are we going to hear from them??" postings waaay too early in the spring next year :D

Ha. Completely agree. I'm curious though, where is everyone in the application process? I had it as my goal to have apps in by 12/15... yeah that didn't happen. I've basically got two supplemental essays to write before I'm done (other than completing some forms and confirming receipt of all the transcripts, letters, etc.).

Good luck, all.

I definitely had the same goal, and am facing the same slide. I feel fortunate that the WWS deadline was early enough that I've got a pretty solid policy paper and a personal statement I'm really happy with... but I haven't really put that much time into customizing them for my other two schools (which also require substantial cuts, with word limits for both well below Princeton's). Let's not even mention the two different supplemental essays that those schools require that I have yet to even outline...

It's hard to be motivated with the holidays around the corner, especially with one app in to give me a comfortable feeling of early satisfaction. But I'm sure those January deadlines are really going to feel like they're just around the corner when I regain my focus in the new year!

• 5 weeks later...

or you could be like me and check the boards on a regular basis to see if anyone else has started those threads. i think i'm in the same boat. no real "safety" school on the list. hopeful, but nervous. wondering about hair-splittingly silly details like, "will decisions come out friday, march 12... or monday, march 15?" and reminding myself often that i must continue to live life until then.