Duke Sanford vs. National University of Singapore

kd7432

Hey all. 

So I had settled on Duke for the MPP (where i'll have to pay ~70k over two years including living), when yesterday I found that I got into the Lee Kuan Yew School for Public Policy at the National University of Singapore...with a full scholarship! Now I'm very very confused. Can you guys advise on the pros and cons of a program in the US vs a program in Singapore? 

I am considering a PhD later on, so that is something to keep in mind, but not something I am completely sure of at this point. I would like to use the master's program to figure this out. Following the MPP, I would like to dabble in research (at think tanks or one of the multilateral agencies) and if not that then maybe in consulting in international development. But I would like to work abroad for a while at least (and not come back to my home country). 

Any thoughts to help me think this through are welcome. Thanks

Hi Kd7432,

Here's Ray. I am Chinese and I was an undergrad from Duke Sanford Public Policy. I can't really provide you anything with NUS, which is definitely a great school. But I can share you with a bit of my perspectives on Duke.

Duke Sanford is definitely one of the best in the US. The variety of class, and the faculty are great. You can learn from leading academic experts, think tank professionals, as well as experienced senior government officials. So you can have a lot of opportunities to talk to people from different backgrounds about career options. (Many students have strong and diverse working experiences as well so you can talk to them as well). My friend in the master program also say there is a lot of research opportunities with faculties, though that is usually the second year.

Seems like your interest is in International Development, I know this is a big part of Sanford. There is a specialized master program in International Development, which I am not so familiar with. But I know there is also the center of international development that carries out excellent research and offer training to policy professionals (there is a rotating group of Chinese / India officials to come and get trained in Fall/Spring semester, there are a lot more from other countries).

In terms of the school life, the Gothic Architecture of Duke Campus is beautiful, and the structure Sanford School itself is amazing and always to pleasure to be in. You are next to the Law School, Business School and Poli Sci department, so most things you need is in reach. Durham isn't a big city but it is a jewel with great weather.   

There are two points you may want to keep in mind though. Even though there is a center dedicated to international development, that is likely to be something you have to explore by yourself. The curriculum for MPP student is more oriented for domestic policy. Many of my international peers in both undergrad and master program feels like Public Policy classes are oriented to the US. There are a lot of emphasis on political procedures in the Congress and Government. To be honest, this can be true for the majority of Public Policy Study in the US. My personal focus was on the environment, so many issues are based on US cases, but not exclusive to US political structure.

The second issue is that the MPP program is professional master degree, meaning that many people here have working experience and will return to work upon their graduation. PhD is definitely an option, but you will have to make this choice proactively. I also talked to a professor about this and there is no short cut to transfer from MPP to PhD in Sanford so you have to reapply. Though studying in Sanford and the personal contact with the faculty is an implicit advantage. 

• 5 weeks later...