Does deferring an admission bind you?

GuywithPants

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked before.

I was admitted into my top choice for an MS, but had to defer my enrollment until next year for various reasons (and no, it's not because I want to reapply to other schools next year). I'm wondering though, does deferring my admission bind me to the program? In other words, could I still reject the offer next year without -much- consequence? I'm not saying I want to reject it, I actually want to go there a lot! However, I don't know what could happen a year from now, so I just wanna know if i'm "stuck" with this program. The way I see it, the only thing I'll do is cause some frustration and possibly some burnt bridges with this specific university, but maybe there's more to it that i'm not seeing. I'd be glad to hear what you guys think about this.

20 minutes ago, GradSchoolTruther said:

Did you get funding offer? I seems as if you don't want to go there and want others to justify your decision. If you don't want to go, don't go.

No, I didn't get any funding, does that affect anything?

I'm not saying I don't want to go, or else I would've simply declined. I just postponed my decision to next year, but now that I think about it, maybe i'm just over complicating things. You're right, if I end up choosing not to go, I just won't. Anyway I still have a year to think about this. Thank you for your answer, GradSchoolTruther.

You aren't bound to attend, but it's bad form to hold onto a spot if you aren't committed to going. You might burn bridges win the program, but in the end, I doubt faculty really care. They have plenty of other stuff on their plate than hold grudges against someone who did not take an unfunded master's offer.