Economic Geography

ebsfbs

Hi,

I am an international student and this is my first post.. Good luck to everybody in their applications.

I need to learn further information about geography programs (I really know very little about them)

I have double majors in Economics (BA) and History (BA)

And completed my MSc in Economics (dissertation: I studied on insitutional political economy) and MA in modern history (dissertation : which I studied on regional development of some provinces under liberal ecnomic policies and the effects of the globalization and during this study I am acquianted with the theories of economic geographers)

At this application process because phd programs in economics are highly quantoitative and my concentrations are not welcomed in these programs I began to search other, more social programs.

In both UCLA urban planning and geography programs there are proffessors which are concentrated on my fields of interest. (as well as Toronto and UBC geograpy programs) However, I know very little about geography programs.. are they open to international students? or to a student who have no geography background? how competititve are they?

I have a poor verbal score from GRE (since I was so concentrated on economy programs at first I do not care it, unfortunately now I do not have time to study and take another GRE) but I guess my other skills are well enough (I ranked first in both classes economics and history)

Is there anybody who can tell me my chance in geography programs? I am also confused about urban planning or geography??

• 3 weeks later...

I may not be able to help you much, but a few years ago I was quite interested in economic geography and had a look at some programs. My impression is that UCLA is the best, and UW (Seattle) is also very good. Are you from China/Hong Kong? There is a professor there, Kam Wing Chan, who specializes at econ geography in China and is a very nice guy.

I don't much about urban planning, but it seems to me that urban planning programs are more about training practitioners.

When I think about economic geography, the following profs come to mind:

- Jamie Peck (UBC)

- David Harvey (CUNY-Anthropology)

- Neil Smith (CUNY Graduate Center)

- Robin Leichencko and Kevin St. Martin (Rutgers)

Also, University of Minnesota.

If you're worried about funding from state universities, look into Clark and Johns Hopkins.

• 1 month later...

I may not be able to help you much, but a few years ago I was quite interested in economic geography and had a look at some programs. My impression is that UCLA is the best, and UW (Seattle) is also very good. Are you from China/Hong Kong? There is a professor there, Kam Wing Chan, who specializes at econ geography in China and is a very nice guy.

I don't much about urban planning, but it seems to me that urban planning programs are more about training practitioners.

Thank you very much. I am agree with you, UCLA is the best. but I heard rumors about financial trouble in LA universities so I did not apply there.

btw, I am waiting for the results of UW and Syracuse, honestly I am really stressful, i am afraid applying for geography programs was really risky for me.

PS:)No I am not Chinese I am Turkish and have no idea about the guy you mentioned..

When I think about economic geography, the following profs come to mind:

- Jamie Peck (UBC)

- David Harvey (CUNY-Anthropology)

- Neil Smith (CUNY Graduate Center)

- Robin Leichencko and Kevin St. Martin (Rutgers)

Also, University of Minnesota.

If you're worried about funding from state universities, look into Clark and Johns Hopkins.

Thank you very much. I am afraid I am late to check this topic:) anyway, I know those guys but I could not get replies to my e-mails so I did not apply any of these universities. I applied UW (Seattle), Syracuse, Temple, kentucky for geography and I need a funded acceptance!!!

• 2 weeks later...