Which engineering degree is more valuable to employers?

Haines15

Question

So I'm starting to look at potential masters programs, and I'm torn between applying to two different types. I want to pursue a career in biomedical engineering (I will have a B.S. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology), but I've been told that biomedical engineering degrees are less desirable than mechanical engineering degrees because they learn a little about a lot of things as opposed to a lot about one area. I was wondering if anyone has been through the process and has any experiences or thoughts about it. Thank you.

Edited by Haines15

1 answer to this question

If your asking what major has more job openings, then mechanical engineering because it is very broad. If you want to work as biomedical engineer than a masters in biomedical or at least a mechanical engineering masters with a thesis in biomedical research is preferred. In my opinion, biomedical engineering is a still growing field where there seems to be not a lot of biomedical engineer majors, so good mechanical engineers are still desired to fill those positions.

Are your potential masters programs showing you that you need to take background courses in engineering courses (I feel like they would, and they would already be mechanical undergrad courses)? Also if your schools don't have a large biomedical program than you could probably take graduate classes as a mechanical engineer without needing extra pre-requistes. I'm also starting to see that graduate students that are diverse in different fields are more valuable in my opinion. I had to make a similar hard decision when I switched from a mechanical undergrad to aerospace masters (decision being: would it be better getting a mechanical masters), but I wanted to learn something different in graduate school and I think it makes me a more diverse engineer. I still have a year left before I find out what the research/aerospace job market likes better though :P