Schools that value research experience

hockeyref24

Question

Hi All,

I am currently deciding on schools to apply to next year and wondered if anyone would have any advice on schools that value research experience more than stats. I am trying to overcome an undergrad GPA (<3.0) and would like to focus on my research more than my stats in next years applications SOPs. 

8 answers to this question

I think the answer will also depend on where you are in your life/career right now. If you are still an undergraduate and you didn't take time off to do a bunch of research, my opinion is that you will probably have a tough time finding a program that will value research over your GPA. This is because most of the schools that value research above all else are very research intensive schools, which tend to be the high ranking schools that are going to get a ton of applicants with both high GPAs and decent research experience. 

That is, I think there are two main things that are good for removing focus on your stats (especially GPA). Research experience is definitely one and the other is time. Your undergrad stats become much less important with time as you gain more relevant skills and experiences. So, if you are finishing up undergraduate this year, I think some options for you would be Masters programs (as @GradSchoolTruther also suggested) or look for more full time research positions in labs in the field you want to work in.

Well, I'm not sure if I can answer you question, but it might be useful to mention what your discipline is. :) 

The answer might vary greatly depending on one's discipline.

Just now, Neist said:

Well, I'm not sure if I can answer you question, but it might be useful to mention what your discipline is. :) 

The answer might vary greatly depending on one's discipline.

I am interested in Ph.D. Pharmacology programs. 

29 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Maybe try down in the medical section? 

I echo this statement.

There's a lot of people on these forums, but not so many that you'll necessarily find the exact answer you're looking for. What you're asking requires more than casual knowledge of Pharmacology programs, and that alone would be fairly specific. It sounds like you need to find people who are already in those programs and sound their opinion. 

On April 24, 2016 at 1:41 PM, hockeyref24 said:

Hi All,

I am currently deciding on schools to apply to next year and wondered if anyone would have any advice on schools that value research experience more than stats. I am trying to overcome an undergrad GPA (<3.0) and would like to focus on my research more than my stats in next years applications SOPs. 

No one can give you an answer, since admissions committees vary each year and members of a committee vary in which aspects of a file matter more. Your best bet is to try for master's programs, and aim for middle-ranked programs,

On 4/28/2016 at 9:07 AM, GradSchoolTruther said:

No one can give you an answer, since admissions committees vary each year and members of a committee vary in which aspects of a file matter more. Your best bet is to try for master's programs, and aim for middle-ranked programs,

I am currently enrolled in a masters program, however, I am supporting myself. This is in combination with working a full time research position.