How many credits per semester in Grad School

Hi everyone,

I know this may seem like a dumb question but what is the course load per semester for Graduate school in Speech Pathology? I understand the for graduate school full time is 3 classes while for undergrad it is 4 classes. I am starting this fall in graduate school and I do not want to overwhelm myself. My program is 55 credits and 5 semesters, including two winter sessions and one summer session. I appreciate feedback a lot. Hopefully I'll have my questions answered at orientation too. I just want to have an idea before then. 

13 minutes ago, Angelina92 said:

Hi everyone,

I know this may seem like a dumb question but what is the course load per semester for Graduate school in Speech Pathology? I understand the for graduate school full time is 3 classes while for undergrad it is 4 classes. I am starting this fall in graduate school and I do not want to overwhelm myself. My program is 55 credits and 5 semesters, including two winter sessions and one summer session. I appreciate feedback a lot. Hopefully I'll have my questions answered at orientation too. I just want to have an idea before then. 

It really depends on each individual school.  For UW for example, it appears the credit load is about the same as my undergrad school - but it is the quarter system vs. my undergrad semester system.  

Thanks Jolie, I guess it depends on the University. For my undergrad our clinic class is 3 credits and we typically had once client whereas for graduate the clinic class is 1 credit but grad students have 5 clients. 

Mine is also around 11-13, and summers are around 8. I don't know about other programs, but I didn't really get to decide my schedule, since the first years take classes together, and there's only one offering of all the classes. We have a little bit of flexibility between when to take two different courses, and a few elective offerings in the second year, but most semesters require at least 11 credits in my program. I wouldn't worry about overwhelming yourself; they lay it out nicely for you, and unless you're considering moving to part-time, there may not be much in the way of what you can change.

U of Arizona is 14 for the first semester, but they don't really have summer or winter coursework-- aside from doing clinical rotations over summer. I'm not clear on the workload for the second semester or year, but I think it's lighter!