International Affairs & Political Science Programs

Hi :)

I'm looking for phd programs in the international relations area. However, in most universities i only found phd program in political science. 

I'm an international student, currently studying outside the U.S so it may seem a rather stupid question but is the political science program include an international relations subfield or focus that the student may choose? I looked it up on google and most of the results directed me to political science programs instead of IR's. 

Best regards,

Ran

Universities don't have IR departments. Programs will have a department of government, political science or politics, within which there are subfield specializations (in the US: IR, Comparative, American and some have Theory or Methodology as additional fields, some don't). You're typically required to declare one primary field, and then pick up a second as a 'minor' though the amount of work you put into both in terms of courses is roughly the same. You will do comprehensive exams in both fields. At some places your primary field is a longer exam, with an oral, than the second but at others they're the same length. Some schools will additionally require you to pick up a third and 'course' out of it, meaning you take the required number of courses in this third field and you don't have a comprehensive exam to pass. Learning more about this requires looking up the departments program guides on their websites. It's all online. Your dissertation will then be in your primary field, though it will undoubtedly incorporate elements from the other subfields.

I should add that USNews has rankings of departments by subfield, though they're out of date considering how many professors have moved: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/political-science-rankings