MA/PhD Speech Pathology out there?

Anyone thinking/are in the dual program for speech pathology? I don't hear much about that path and I'd like some tips. I'd like to know if it's as competitive as the MA program? Do dual programs (or PhD, even) weigh their applicants the same as the MA program? Should I focus more on my GPA, GRE, or research experiences (I've done three poster presentations--one for ASHA)? What's something you recommend or have done to help your acceptance?

Thank you!

Edited by PTM

I looked into some of the combo programs - my advice to you is to start your research very early.  Do you know what area of emphasis you are interested in?  Start examining the programs and their faculty to see which might be the best fit.  Definitely reach out and speak to these professors.  (I suggest you read and become familiar with their work first, of course).  The programs I looked at were all at very competitive universities - I would imagine PhD programs are still very competitive but you should contact the departments to find out the exact statistics.  

@Jolie717

I've been doing research for two years now and have been following four faculties's work. I will be reaching out to them this summer/fall in hopes that it'll help me stand out during application process. According to ASHA's edFind, there's not that many applicants for the dual program and I was curious as to how competitive it would be and if I should focus on one thing over another. The other curiosity is if the reason their low application pool is due to not enough mentors/staffing.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, PTM said:

@Jolie717

I've been doing research for two years now and have been following four faculties's work. I will be reaching out to them this summer/fall in hopes that it'll help me stand out during application process. According to ASHA's edFind, there's not that many applicants for the dual program and I was curious as to how competitive it would be and if I should focus on one thing over another. The other curiosity is if the reason their low application pool is due to not enough mentors/staffing.

Thank you!

I would say the low applicant pool has more to do with the general shortage of PhD SLPs.

As far as relying on ASHA EdFind - don't.  Much of the info is outdated and inaccurate.  Just call the CD programs / departments.  They won't remember your name - don't be scared!  As far as reaching out to prospective professors, I highly recommend you do so in the summer, and not the fall, when you will be busy with applications (and school).