MSW v. MPP/MPA: Social Policy/admin/leadership

CCD2016

Hello, 

I have been considering applying for an MSW at a school with a macro/policy focus instead of getting my MPP. Hell, maybe even applying to both. Any advice?

Is there any meaningful difference between getting your MSW at a school that has a policy concentration/macro focus and getting your MPP and specializing in social policy? I understand the difference to be that MPP/MPA will largely be more quant focused, but I was wondering if there are any others? Any disadvantage to the MSW that the MPP/MPA can resolve? Any career impact, etc? 

Thank, yall.

I think it really depends what you would like to do career-wise. MSW with policy focus can be as marketable as a MPP depending on different organizations/agencies and the kind of roles you're seeking.

I applied to both public affairs and social work programs last year and ended up enrolling at UChicago's social work program. I think the program will get me where I need to go, but there are a number of downsides and I think one of the major reasons it will work for me is my quantitative undergrad. One of the advantages, however, is that many of the social work programs are more affordable. It really depends on what you want to do, however. Feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

I weighed this decision too - if I had chosen not to go to UMich for my MSW I would have likely chosen the MPA program at UNC over UNC's MSW.

Ultimately I was impressed enough with Michigan's strong macro focus to feel confident that I could gain the "hard skills" I need to grow as a nonprofit administrator. And above all it was important to me that all of my coursework was imbued with an intentional social justice perspective. That was definitely not going to happen with the MPA program, which reminded me more of an MBA (except everyone was going to make way less money...).

I do get a lot of confused reactions when I tell people (especially older folks) I'm going to get an MSW because they think only of the degree in its traditional sense of counseling or case management. I hope folks in the nonprofit world understand that my experience will be much different when I'm applying for jobs afterward!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be a little odd in that I am in a MSW/MPA/MPP program. I get to share credits so it is only 2.5 years and have scholarships and TA money covering the tuition. I feel that all of the degrees serve their purposes. I currently work in human services for a state government and the majority of the courses I have taken so far are directly related to my chosen profession. I would definitely say that the MPP has been the least necessary program, but both the MPA and MSW are invaluable for my field. Are you specifically wanting to go into a Nonprofit/Non profit management?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, callahbd said:

@CCD2016 hi there, if you don't mind my asking, what did you end up deciding? I am faced with the same decision and can't quite figure out which direction to go in. any advice/perspective/experience would be so helpful! thanks! 

Hello there! I actually ended up accepting a VISTA position with a social service agency. I really didn't feel super comfortable with the options I had for the fall, so I decided to get some experience in a more social work setting bc that was certainly the field I was less familiar with. 

My path-- I am likely going to just apply for an MSW program. I have more interest in a more case management type position that I thought after some exposure, so I will be applying to programs that provide some sort of balance (or opportunity there of) so I can (hypothetically) find some balance and have access to either career path. Idk much about your work history, etc. But volunteering/working/doing AmeriCorps VISTA are all great at helping decide. Front line experience in the social policy/social work arena is incredibly important. But it can be more helpful depending on what you are more interested in, tbh. I have enjoyed the experience so I wanted to make sure I tossed that out there

In terms of the advice I have received, the information can be pretty generally grouped. 1. Bigger programs with a macro focus can lend to a lot of the same educational opportunities MPP programs might have. The obvious difference being your education for an MSW is more social service centric (ie, core social work classes), but you can take classes about policy and some have analysis classes (UMich, DU, etc. etc.). Some programs only require 1-2 gen. courses before you go the policy route. 2. Your practicums/internships are important. You should spend a decent amount of time thinking about practicums for your MSW. If the schools has a good relationship with agencies that do policy work, etc. you could potentially make some ins, network, etc. 3. General background can help guide the decision. IE, having a more quant centered background can help you fill in the gaps an MSW may provide to you. 4. Depends on what you are truly interested in. MSW will be more social service centered, while MPP/MPA will be more quant/gov/admin centered. They can each lend from each other, but ultimately it depends on what you are more interested in.

If you want to talk more, dm me!

21 hours ago, CCD2016 said:

Hello there! I actually ended up accepting a VISTA position with a social service agency. I really didn't feel super comfortable with the options I had for the fall, so I decided to get some experience in a more social work setting bc that was certainly the field I was less familiar with. 

My path-- I am likely going to just apply for an MSW program. I have more interest in a more case management type position that I thought after some exposure, so I will be applying to programs that provide some sort of balance (or opportunity there of) so I can (hypothetically) find some balance and have access to either career path. Idk much about your work history, etc. But volunteering/working/doing AmeriCorps VISTA are all great at helping decide. Front line experience in the social policy/social work arena is incredibly important. But it can be more helpful depending on what you are more interested in, tbh. I have enjoyed the experience so I wanted to make sure I tossed that out there

In terms of the advice I have received, the information can be pretty generally grouped. 1. Bigger programs with a macro focus can lend to a lot of the same educational opportunities MPP programs might have. The obvious difference being your education for an MSW is more social service centric (ie, core social work classes), but you can take classes about policy and some have analysis classes (UMich, DU, etc. etc.). Some programs only require 1-2 gen. courses before you go the policy route. 2. Your practicums/internships are important. You should spend a decent amount of time thinking about practicums for your MSW. If the schools has a good relationship with agencies that do policy work, etc. you could potentially make some ins, network, etc. 3. General background can help guide the decision. IE, having a more quant centered background can help you fill in the gaps an MSW may provide to you. 4. Depends on what you are truly interested in. MSW will be more social service centered, while MPP/MPA will be more quant/gov/admin centered. They can each lend from each other, but ultimately it depends on what you are more interested in.

If you want to talk more, dm me!

thank you so much! this is super helpful.