Paying for pre req

My understanding is that you can't get loans for a post-bacc certificate or if you're cobbling together a few classes, because you're not a degree-seeking student. I'm not sure about a full 2nd bachelors degree-- I'm guessing you can take loans out if you go that route.

I had money from AmeriCorps that I used for some of my classes. I guess that's considered a scholarship. So those are acceptable but not sure how commonly they're offered to post-bacc students. 

At USU, If you apply as a degree-seeking student going for your "2nd Bachelor's", you are eligible for financial aid. If you go for the non-degree seeking student, you either have to pay out-of-pocket or get a loan. 

http://comd.usu.edu/htm/faq/#online2ndBachelors

There's a link in the event you decide to apply to USU.

Each school is probably different so your best bet is to call the financial aid office for whatever school you decide to attend to complete your pre-reqs! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It highly depends on the school. I know sally mae (navient?) offers a loan for non-degree seeking students but it requires that the school you attend offer you finaid in the first place. Also, you can use Stafford loans if the school offers finaid for non-degree students. I did a year at a school that offered that only for students doing pre-reqs, so they do exist, but you'll have to do the research to find out for yourself.