Admissions Statistics

BCHistory

I saw another thread on here about a week ago where members were discussing the very difficult task of finding departments' admissions statistics for the previous year. I thought I would start a thread where we could post our findings, whether they come from the departments themselves or from the graduate schools.

I've been doing some investigative work, digging through some departmental websites, and I have found a bit of information. I'll start this off with the History Department of the University of South Carolina:

"For the 2009-2010 academic year, there were 180 applicants for our graduate programs; 21 enrolled (ten in the Ph.D. program and 11 in the M.A. in Public History program). This class has an average GRE score of 1220 on two of the three components of the exam and an average undergraduate GPA of 3.50."

Source: http://bulletin.sc.e...72&returnto=654

Anybody who has information for other schools, please feel free to post. It's been pretty difficult to find for most departments, but maybe we can pool together information for all of the various departments to which we've applied and come up with a decent list.

Edited by BCEmory08

Oop. My bad. The Yale number given was enrolled, not accepted. So the percentage accepted was something higher than that.

I was just going to mention this. I can see why some lower-ranked schools might not provide their acceptance rates, but I would guess that the percentage of people who are accepted at Yale who go on to enroll would be extremely high.

Edited by BCEmory08

Michigan used to give out about 36 offers for a yield of 18-20 students a year out of nearly 400 applications. Since 2009 admissions and for this coming year, they've changed their policy. Now they plan to make only 20 offers, and just have a larger waitlist so they don't overyield because of funding issues. And still nearly 400 applications.

Michigan used to give out about 36 offers for a yield of 18-20 students a year out of nearly 400 applications. Since 2009 admissions and for this coming year, they've changed their policy. Now they plan to make only 20 offers, and just have a larger waitlist so they don't overyield because of funding issues. And still nearly 400 applications.

Someone mentioned Northwestern, but check out the intense level of statistics they offer for every program: http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/pgm_stats/

Its almost too much information; it not only gives you admission statistic but attrition rates, placements (even listing the school name), years to degree, etc.

I'm not sure if average GPAs and GREs are all that important. That being said, I'm pretty sure Duke has them on their website somewhere.

I think average numbers of applicants vs. number admitted is a more interesting stat. One department that I didn't apply to but that I recall noticing was kind of a high acceptance-rate was University of Kansas, where about 1/3 of applicants are admitted. Pretty high for a top 50 program. The location is probably a big factor.

Edited by misterpat

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2009 at 5:44 PM, misterpat said:

I'm not sure if average GPAs and GREs are all that important. That being said, I'm pretty sure Duke has them on their website somewhere.

I think average numbers of applicants vs. number admitted is a more interesting stat. One department that I didn't apply to but that I recall noticing was kind of a high acceptance-rate was University of Kansas, where about 1/3 of applicants are admitted. Pretty high for a top 50 program. The location is probably a big factor.

Does anyone know anything about the admissions statistics for WUSTL?