GRE Scores!

LadyLingua

I asked this in another forum, but I think this may be a better location for this question:

I am about to start my second year in my MA program studying linguistics. I currently have a 3.89 GPA, and am writing a thesis that I think will be helpful for PhD Linguistics programs I am applying for. My top four schools that I will be applying to are: University of California Santa Barbara, University of Hawaii at Manoa, University of Colorado Boulder, and University of Arizona. I took the GRE for entrance into my current program, and received a 152V/143Q. I recently took it again to try to get it higher since I will be applying to these PhD programs, and got a 155V/144Q. Most of these programs do not require an MA for entrance into a PhD program, so I am hoping that my good GPA in a graduate program will help balance out the mediocre GRE scores. My question is, what are my chances of getting into UCSB, Hawaii, UC Boulder and/or U of A with this GPA/GRE combo?

Thank you!!

Do these programs have suggested scores for GRE? I think your answer will depend in part on that. I can't really give you statistics. Have you gone to the results page and looked at the scores of people who have gotten accepted to these institutions? 

IJust curious, how did you prepare for your second GRE? How have you been studying for it in the last year?

17 minutes ago, Apogeee said:

Do these programs have suggested scores for GRE? I think your answer will depend in part on that. I can't really give you statistics. Have you gone to the results page and looked at the scores of people who have gotten accepted to these institutions? 

IJust curious, how did you prepare for your second GRE? How have you been studying for it in the last year?

Thanks for responding! These programs do not have suggested GRE scores, they only require the scores to be sent. The only one that mentions anything is UCSB which says that their "most competitive applicants" are in the 90th percentile, which my scores are obviously not. However, I'm hoping my good GPA in my masters program and my extracurriculars from my time in the program will show them that I am capable of doing graduate-level work.

Well, if you're able to study in a materially different way than you studied the last two times, it could be worth taking it again.

Your chances probably most depend on the overall picture compared to the other applications, and there's no way to know who they will be. Do a great job on the rest of your application package, including your personal statement and letters of recommendation!