Which scores do I use on my application?

jlee306

Hello, I am trying to get my application materials sent out and I have to put my scores on the application. It asks me for my Math score, my Verbal score, and my Cumulative score. I have taken the GRE twice and was wondering which set of scores I put on the application. For example, lets say on the 1st test, I made 600v and 680m and then on the 2nd test, I made a 580v and a 700m. Could I take the verbal score from the 1st test and the math score from the 2nd test? Or do the scores I choose have to be from the same test? Thank you in advance.

from what I know, ETS will send all your scores and it is up to schools to decide which ones they would pay most attention to (usually it's the best scores). On many applications you have an opportunity to put in all your scores by date, but if there is only one option, I guess just pick one set.

They definitely have to be from the same test, because they also ask you for the date of the test. I had the same problem when I was applying. What I did was to leave the GRE sections blank on the applications. None of mine said that it was required to provide the scores right there; rather, you should just have ETS send them the official score report, which will have all your scores included on it.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my applications required the same input. In my case I only took the GRE once so it was obvious what to put, but in your case, I'd have put the most recent set of scores since it would be the most relevant. It doesn't matter much though, since they expect that many of their grad school applicants will retake the GREs.

All of my applications required the same input. In my case I only took the GRE once so it was obvious what to put, but in your case, I'd have put the most recent set of scores since it would be the most relevant. It doesn't matter much though, since they expect that many of their grad school applicants will retake the GREs.

Great, thanks!