RSS Feed of the results page, Let's make it happen!

Timothy Vallier

Hello all,

Like most of you I enjoy the grad cafe immensely, but there is a major feature missing: An RSS feed of new posts from the results page.

We could all save some time and anxiety by not refreshing 50-100x a day and instead simply wait for new postings to come to us.

I have submitted an e-mail via the 'contact us' button which may yield results, but there may be a better/quicker way.

Option A:

Someone creates a a script, which visits the page, checks the results table for anything new, and automatically generates a short RSS of the new posting. This could be done via someone with some web skills and an active webserver.

Option B:

A human who is dedicated to checking the page with the same web server resources checks the page daily and creates a feed. This has some limitations since it is reliant upon a human, and could only mean 1 update per day.

Option C:

We create a donation pool to get the developers of this site some incentive to implement this feature natively and quickly and we all live happily ever after.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS! Let's make this happen!

I am a member of a different forum where we fret about grad school acceptance, but we also check the results page here quite often. I was asked earlier today to do what you are requesting - make an RSS feed from the results page. I figured I'd share it here with you guys as well.

You can find the RSS feed here: http://www.euphoniou...om/grad/rss.php

It scrapes the GradCafe Results page every hour. I wrote the code pretty quickly, so it may have bugs or formatting issues. Feel free to let me know if you encounter any problems. All I ask is that everyone doesn't pound my server with requests every ten minutes, as it will only be fresh data every hour.

I am a member of a different forum where we fret about grad school acceptance, but we also check the results page here quite often. I was asked earlier today to do what you are requesting - make an RSS feed from the results page. I figured I'd share it here with you guys as well.

You can find the RSS feed here: http://www.euphoniou...om/grad/rss.php

It scrapes the GradCafe Results page every hour. I wrote the code pretty quickly, so it may have bugs or formatting issues. Feel free to let me know if you encounter any problems. All I ask is that everyone doesn't pound my server with requests every ten minutes, as it will only be fresh data every hour.

This feed is amazing you goon! Thank you a bunch. Also, the owner of the site let me know that they would be trying to add this natively to the site over break, but perhaps you could post the files/instructions to give them a head start?

Hi All, I do plan to add this functionality over the break and a lot more. I'm currently swamped with writing a paper, but as soon as it's done I'll get to work!

PS In the meanwhile I'll allow polyfractals feed to continue to work.