Greek Paleography

seroteamavi

Greetings, all. I am interested in learning Byzantine paleography so that I can better figure out some manuscripts I'm going to be working with. Can anyone recommend some resources for Greek paleography that covers writings around the 7th through the 11th centuries?

Hey there,

You might start with Todd Hickey's "Papyrology" in The Oxford Handbook of Byzantine Studies. That period of papyrology is notoriously understudied. I work quite some in late antique papyrology, which has some related graphic features. Though I admittedly don't know much about research dealing with post-fifth century papyri. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat more about this. It's a damn difficult field to navigate oneself without some guidance!

In terms of practical help, Metzger has a book that contains virtual all the contractions you end up seeing in minuscule manuscripts. Those are what make collating minuscules difficult. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wilson, Nigel. Mediaeval Greek Bookhands: Examples selected from Greek manuscripts in Oxford libraries. 1973. 

The instructor in a Byzantine Greek course I am taking right now has used this book in class, and it seems to be a wonderful resource for Byzantine paleography. It certainly does train you to start reading miniscule Greek script, which is typical of the 8th century onward. 

Edited by Jonjae