When do Adcoms Start Reviewing?

kmp34

Does anyone know when admissions committees start reviewing applications?

(I'm having issues with a few parts of my application (ie: no confirmation email from one place, a missing rec letter at another). Do you think if I straighten all of this out by first week of Jan I should be ok?)

Thanks for any advice!

It likely depends on the schools to which you are applying. A mere day after I submitted my app to Chicago (on 12/10), I got an email saying that my application was complete and so was being forwarded to the committee. I don't know if that means they have started reviewing it or not. I got an email from Princeton last week, which mentioned that the committee would start reviewing "in a couple of weeks," which likely means the first week of January. You should try very hard to get that LOR in by January 1st at the very latest. As for the lack of confirmation email, just contact the department.

That sounds about right. I think most places start by early January (I remember a bunch of websites saying that), or whenever professors get back from break.

It likely depends on the schools to which you are applying. A mere day after I submitted my app to Chicago (on 12/10), I got an email saying that my application was complete and so was being forwarded to the committee. I don't know if that means they have started reviewing it or not. I got an email from Princeton last week, which mentioned that the committee would start reviewing "in a couple of weeks," which likely means the first week of January. You should try very hard to get that LOR in by January 1st at the very latest. As for the lack of confirmation email, just contact the department.

Trust me, it's not the first week of January at any place that has a deadline after Nov 15. Do you realize how long it takes to produce applications packets? Combine this with getting professors in the same plae at the same time? No.

Trust me, it's not the first week of January at any place that has a deadline after Nov 15. Do you realize how long it takes to produce applications packets? Combine this with getting professors in the same plae at the same time? No.

But considering that a whole host of schools send out acceptances in the first week of February, could it really be later than MLK day? I'd hope that committees spend more than a week reviewing applications :-)

You know, professors can review applications without the entire committee being able to get together. They just "check out" files from the grad program secretary, review them, then return them. Then, once they've all been read, they meet to discuss them. This is sorta how it works at my current program, and how it works for big grant competitions.

You know, professors can review applications without the entire committee being able to get together. They just "check out" files from the grad program secretary, review them, then return them. Then, once they've all been read, they meet to discuss them. This is sorta how it works at my current program, and how it works for big grant competitions.

Changes from program to program, but you're making the assumption that these applications are instantly done. They take weeks to process.

Edited by plisar

Hmm that makes me nervous - I applied to PRinceton too and didn't get an email saying anything about the committee.

This is what I was told by one of mentors. She's done this a few times. She said she comes home with a stack of files and tries to read them before passing out asleep. She gets her definites and maybes together and at some point everyone compares definites and maybes and whittle from there. But it isn't some big marathon session with the whole group.

Changes from program to program, but you're making the assumption that these applications are instantly done. They take weeks to process.

No, they really don't. Our program has a part-time grad secretary and she has all the files together within a week of the deadline. How? She starts the file as soon as the first piece of the application is received.

Profs have different criteria that they use to make their initial cuts: GRE, GPA, recommendations, SOP, etc. And honestly, even if you're missing a recommendation, profs should be able to get some clue of whether you're in their definite, maybe, or no pile... I know for sure that one of my applications was evaluated without the third letter initially and I got admitted there.

No, they really don't. Our program has a part-time grad secretary and she has all the files together within a week of the deadline. How? She starts the file as soon as the first piece of the application is received.

Profs have different criteria that they use to make their initial cuts: GRE, GPA, recommendations, SOP, etc. And honestly, even if you're missing a recommendation, profs should be able to get some clue of whether you're in their definite, maybe, or no pile... I know for sure that one of my applications was evaluated without the third letter initially and I got admitted there.

LOL. You are in a X program. How many apps do you get? I was a grad secretary for a few years and when I was processing 900-1000 applications, it did take weeks.

Edited by rising_star
to delete identifying information

LOL. You are in a X program. How many apps do you get? I was a grad secretary for a few years and when I was processing 900-1000 applications, it did take weeks.

Okay, but not every program gets 900-1000 applications. Those are the exception, not the rule. Or maybe you're just a slow/inefficient worker. It's impossible to say. I posted about my experience, you posted about yours.

Merry Christmas.

Okay, but not every program gets 900-1000 applications. Those are the exception, not the rule. Or maybe you're just a slow/inefficient worker. It's impossible to say. I posted about my experience, you posted about yours.

Merry Christmas.

Wow, you really are as rude as you come off as, aren't you? Doing the job of a grad secretary, where I am responsible for making sure all my current students (250 masters students and 150 Ph.D. students) are doing what they need to do while tracking down materials for that many applicants is not exactly efficient work. But thanks for making the most critical assumption and putting it into writing. It's not surprising, however.

Edited by plisar