Learning Python

ETRXRock

I doubt many people if any will offer free tutoring. Here are some websites that can be useful: 

https://www.codecademy.com

https://www.codewars.com

Much like anything else in life, the more you practice the better you will be. It might take time to feel confident with the language, and, by that I don't mean knowing how to do the basics. Stick with it for years, any chance you get to put python to use, do it. I liken it very much to math, I can look up definitions for how to go about doing certain computations but that will come and go if I have no discipline, structure and purpose for it's use. 

I can't really help you, but thought I would ask if you have taken a free mooc course on python?

Both coursera and edx typically have completely free courses on it.

Edited by sjoh197

Here's a pretty solid resource : 

MIT Open Courseware -- A Gentle Into to Programming Using Python 

Both an intro to Python and a course made to make you think like a programmer. 

A professor I know out at UC Davis also put this course together : 

Python for Environmental Scientists

• 1 month later...

Hi @ETRXRock,

Hopefully your Python journey is going well! A side project for my Atmospheric Thermodynamics class is to read through this phenomenal (free) online text and do the exercises. I remembered this thread and figured it might be of help!

A Hands-On Introduction to Using Python in the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2016 at 0:06 PM, Ocean-Atmos-Climate said:

Hi @ETRXRock,

Hopefully your Python journey is going well! A side project for my Atmospheric Thermodynamics class is to read through this phenomenal (free) online text and do the exercises. I remembered this thread and figured it might be of help!

A Hands-On Introduction to Using Python in the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

Holy smokes, I've died and gone to heaven.  I've been looking for something like this, so much thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2016 at 10:45 AM, Crucial BBQ said:

Holy smokes, I've died and gone to heaven.  I've been looking for something like this, so much thanks for posting!

No problem at all, I hope it helps you out! 

On a side note, my undergraduate major was in physical oceanography. I'm now focusing on biogeochemical oceanography in graduate school, but looking to bring physics into my work.

• 6 years later...

So, I am currently using "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python." I currently finished the first three chapters of the program. Then, I did the practice project called the "The Collatz Sequence". However, I was not able to solve the problem. Honestly, it really frustrated me that I was not able to solve it. I really want to learn python and I want to do it properly. But I am unsure how to go about it. Should I go back and reviewed the previous chapters to better grasp the concepts? Should I keep moving forward? Should I look use websites like Codewars to practice? I am just kind of lost because I do want to learn effectively as possible. Just wanted advice and suggestions from others.