Theology or Religious Studies?

johndiligent

I am applying to divinity schools for master's programs. If and when I apply for doctoral studies, then I plan to apply to religious studies departments. I am a theologian, am informed about my area of religious studies and, to a lesser degree, about other world and folk religions.

Edited by Mathētēs

I'm applying to master of theology programs, and prefer the sound of 'theologian' to 'scholar of religion,' though the latter may be more apt for me since I'll probably spend as much time as an exegete. I will however be forever envious of those who can call themselves 'masters of divinity.' Master of the Divine...has a superhero feel to it doesn't it?

I'm applying to master of theology programs, and prefer the sound of 'theologian' to 'scholar of religion,' though the latter may be more apt for me since I'll probably spend as much time as an exegete. I will however be forever envious of those who can call themselves 'masters of divinity.' Master of the Divine...has a superhero feel to it doesn't it?

I find it interesting that you seem to say a Theologian is not an exegete. The Angelic Doctor would disagree.

I'd like to amend this question somewhat and ask where you would see your work published. I think that'd give more information about where you see yourself in our broad field. The journals that I sometimes read as an undergrad were Religion, History of Religion, Method and Theory in the Study of Religion, and occasionally Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (which is possibly more the direction my career is headed...). To me, except for MTSR, those three are THE big name journals, but I bet a lot of you consider the big name journals to be stuff I've never heard of, and maybe don't know some or all of those journals. Oh and of course AAR's journal... but I never actually read anything from there, I don't think.

Also, what professional associations, besides obviously AAR? Anyone else a fan of NAASR? SSSR?

I guess to me, the issues aren't just theological vs. historical... I don't know, you guys should check out this article:

http://www.as.ua.edu/naasr/Establishingabeachhead.pdf which is a history of NAASR which discusses (especially on the first two pages) a lot of the issues that I feel are more divisive in our field (and part of the reason why I'm applying in other fields).

While I want to base myself in Religious Studies, the best places for me to publish would be in journals that cater more to Classical archaeologists and socio-historians - essentially an audience very familiar with Greco-Roman social history and archaeology. I'm studying Christians as a social group but within the context of the ancient world, not within the context of Christian history or the history of religion.

Where I could see myself publishing: Greece & Rome, Near Eastern Archaeology, Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology, Journal of Roman Studies, Journal of Roman Archaeology, Material Religion, that sort of thing.

My professional associations are also pretty broad because I have national and international religious studies memberships in order to help with the job hunt, but then I'm a member of Classics and Archaeology associations in order to attend/present at conferences, and meet people working in relevant, related areas.

By the way, I wanted to say that your question is a really good one, jacib, and a good way of highlighting our different approaches to the discipline.

That's good to hear, I'm really bad at judging what makes me sound like a total prick on the internet! I stared at that post for a while before sending it, "Am I being an asshole? Am I being an asshole? Am I being an asshole?"

Edited by jacib

• 1 month later...