Normal to have second thoughts?

Legend111

Question

Hello all,

Earlier this year, I decided to apply to three master's programs in I/O psychology.  I didn't spend too much time on my applications - I was able to get letters and write my essays in a matter of three weeks.  I ended up being waitlisted and getting into one program (in a less than desirable location that would cause me to relocate).  I was pretty disappointed when I finally found out in May that they did not let anyone in from the waitlist this year.  So I reluctantly accepted the offer from the school that accepted me.

Now school is set to begin in about 6 weeks, and I am starting to have serious doubts about going.  Just to give a little background, I have been working full-time for the past four years since I graduated in 2012, and have a decent job where the earnings are decent (it is in recruiting).  The prospect of leaving my friends, family, and familiar surroundings seems daunting to attend a program that is located in pretty bad area and does have the prestige I had hoped for.  Not to mention the prospect of having money to being broke again. 

For all of you who have accepted offers and are close to starting your programs, do you find yourself questioning whether or not you are making the correct decision?  I feel as though something like this should be an easy decision - not something you wrestle with for months.

I am seriously considering withdrawing my acceptance and re-applying to schools better for next year.  How frown upon is doing this?

2 answers to this question

Hi!

I also just applied to I/O psychology masters programs (along with business PhD programs) this past year. Both of the I/O programs were in places that forced me to relocate, but not too far from where I currently live. However, the locations are not as good as where I currently live in terms of size, closeness to industry and companies I may want to work for, and the amount of things going on. I live in a big city, and I would be moving to a smaller city/small-town feel type of place. So I didn't particularly like that aspect when I accepted the program that I am ultimately going to in a few weeks.

I understand where you are coming from, and I wouldn't say that it's necessarily an easy decision. Especially for you, compared to me, it must be difficult to leave your job and the things you have gotten used to, and to try something new. I am coming from an undergrad program, so I didn't have much money to do things with and my friends are also all moving around to work/go to school.

Just like you, the school I am going to does not have the same prestige that a lot of other schools I applied to have, or even the school that I am coming from. However, with I/O psych the departments are almost never located in a school with much prestige. I'm sure the school you accepted is well known within the I/O community, but it is possible that people haven't heard of it or don't think highly of it outside of that group. And that's okay, as long as it's okay with you.

Is there any part of it you're looking forward to? It sounds like you are concerned about moving, about the prestige of the school, and about the area. What about the classes? The professors? The research opportunities? The chance to expand your career or move to a different area? If you don't have positive answers to most of these questions, then it sounds like it is negative all around for you, and you likely wouldn't thrive there if it isn't a good fit.

If there really isn't anything that seems positive for you, I would advise not to go because it might be frowned upon. It's a big commitment, and you should want to go for some reasons at least. Though the school isn't as prestigious and the area is not great, I'm very happy to go to a new place, try it out, conduct research, work with a really nice and interesting supervisor, and explore a new field that I've actually never worked in before. So personally, the good outweighs the potential bad. I hope for you that is the case, and if not, you shouldn't attend out of some sense of responsibility. It's best to let people know if you don't want to attend as soon as possible, and then you can visit schools to get an idea of what you want in a program for next time.

Best of luck!

I haven't had any real experience with this specific issue, but I am hoping I can help.

I knew I wanted to go into engineering, and I knew where I wanted to get my degree. I also knew that I needed my degree for a better job, and that the research and coursework was something that I could be excited about. Some days I do second guess uprooting my life to come somewhere unfamiliar when I could be out making more money living somewhere more exciting, but it was a price I was willing to pay.

Will this degree help you get a job you want? Is it worth the sacrifice? It is sounding like maybe you would be happier staying where you are now, and going to a better program in the near future. Grad school is something that you have to want to do, because even if you really want to do it and love what you do, it is stressful, and you're going to second guess your decision. However, if you delay going to school, you need to also consider the reasons for why you were not admitted, and think about doing something that will get you in. Another year of work under your belt isn't going to do the trick!

Good luck!