Is it necessary to contact potential POIs for masters programs?

IslamicStudiesMA17

Question

I am applying for masters degrees in religion and middle eastern studies for next fall and have begun the application process recently. I plan on taking the GRE this month and already have a tentative list of programs/POIs that interest me. I know it is recommended for PhD candidates to contact potential POIs before they apply to schools, but is it necessary or recommended for masters students? Thanks for any insights.

3 answers to this question

It's not necessary but it can be helpful. You want to make sure you'll have a suitable thesis advisor, particularly if you're planning on doing a PhD later on. The bigger concerns when it comes to master's programs are funding and making sure the courses you're interested in will actually be offered during your time there.

I did! I think it was worth it even though I'm not sure if it helped much. It helped me manage my expectations too. For instance, one POI from boulder seem really interested while the other one thought I needed work experience before coming to their program. So after that encounter I knew I had a very slim chance of acceptance. But the times I did have a nice rapport, I was accepted to that school.