Programs asking for two SoPs in two target languages?

scarvesandcardigans

Hi all! 

I'm in the midst of applying to programs for fall 2017. At least one of my programs has asked me to write two statements of purpose, one in English and one in the target program language, Spanish. I have no problem with this, but I'm curious - are committees looking to see how well I write the same things in both languages or are they looking for two independent essays? What I mean to say is, should I more or less be writing the same content but in two languages, or are they looking for something else? 

Looking for students/scholars who have had experience with this, but anyone with any insight can offer their $.02 of course. 

Thanks!

On August 15, 2016 at 8:10 PM, scarvesandcardigans said:

Hi all! 

I'm in the midst of applying to programs for fall 2017. At least one of my programs has asked me to write two statements of purpose, one in English and one in the target program language, Spanish. I have no problem with this, but I'm curious - are committees looking to see how well I write the same things in both languages or are they looking for two independent essays? What I mean to say is, should I more or less be writing the same content but in two languages, or are they looking for something else? 

Looking for students/scholars who have had experience with this, but anyone with any insight can offer their $.02 of course. 

Thanks!

A good way to go would be to follow the guideline on the website of the department. But FWIW, the target language version in most cases is for the ADCOM to have an idea how well you can write in the target language. Many programs do not even require a target language version of SOP (At least, this was my case in my former program). Although in two different languages, I think the content should be more or less the same, because they are after all SOPs. If the two versions are completely different, it will be difficult for the AdCom to figure out what you are interested in, with whom you want to work, why this program is a good fit for you, etc, because they will get two sets of parameters in hand and yet pretty much are unable to decide which set of parameters derived respectively from each SOP that is different from the other should be applied to your case. Therefore, I would recommend that you write more or less similar stuffs for both versions. 

I don't have experience with this issue, none of the schools I applied to asked for any documents in both languages. I would think that the department could clarify the issue. 

I guess that a SOP would not change depending on the language.  Aren't you the same person with the same intent?

But, good God, it's way too soon to be applying again! I can't imagine starting the whole process again! My cohort from last year now has over 20% attrition.