If you specified for the LOR to be submitted online, but they mail it instead. Still okay?

joro

This is just scenario, hasn't happened to me.

Will your application still be updated if you specified for the LOR to be submitted online, but instead was submitted by mail?

This is just scenario, hasn't happened to me.

Will your application still be updated if you specified for the LOR to be submitted online, but instead was submitted by mail?

I'm not sure, though it probably is not a big deal. I would try to change the LOR part of the app from submitted online to submitted by mail. Usually you can still access the LOR part of the application once you have submitted your application. You might have to delete the LOR's name and then add it again, specifying submitted by mail.

And if that doesn't work, then you could always call the school and ask/let them know.

The schools I applied to have been pretty cool about this (both getting paper letters instead of electronic, and vice versa).

I had one which specified 'online only' but my writers gave me paper letters (sealed and stuff - but because I'm overseas, it was much easier and cheaper for the letters to go in sealed envelopes at the recommenders', then get sent to me to go in with the rest of my materials). The school took these with no problems, just a note that it slows down the process a little as they would need to scan the letters to make them available to other departments.

And right now I'm dealing with a bunch of letters that have been caught up in a mail strike here - should have arrived before Christmas and still aren't here! One of my school's deadlines was Jan 1, and I emailed them a few days ahead to explain the situation and say that the letters were on their way. This particular school was adamant about paper letters ONLY (and, weirdly, required cover sheets on those recommendations only for international students), but sent me back an email while the office was closed saying, "If the letters still haven't arrived by the time the school reopens, your writers can just email their letters in to complete your application".

So, I'm pretty sure that getting letters in a different format is no big drama.

Alright, thanks. Well I have no idea if this is happening in my case. I'm just freaking out because I have not seen any updates from any school regarding my last LOR. I don't know if he's mailed it or if he still hasn't sent it in. :unsure:

• 3 months later...

This did happen to me! I highly suggested online submmition of my LOR but he insisted that he mail it. It was lost, sent to the wrong department I suppose. I called to confirm the school recieved it and they had not. I had to have him email it directly to a lady in the admissions office....This is only after all three of my very strong recs. were auto deleted (along with the rest of my application) from the online application system. One of them was from a now retired teacher. Most systems have only a few months that your application is allowed to be active and then all information will be flushed, or auto deleted. These dates of activity were nowhere posted. I was devestated so when they lost his letter I had no patience left.