Fulbright-Hays DDRA FY 2016

kdavid

For those who have applied to this most recent cycle, have you received word on your applications yet?

I hadn't anticipated hearing anything until early- to mid-September. However, I came across these posts, dated August 12 and 14, 2016, stating that acceptance and alternate notifications had been sent as early as August 10.

In recent years, the earliest acceptances have been sent is August 27, and it seems they typically come on Thursdays and Fridays. So, early August would be an anomaly. 

To follow up on yesterday's inquiry, I've contacted my campus representative and she's confirmed that the DDRA has not sent out notifications. She noted they expected to hear back anytime from now into September. Last year they received notifications late August.

So, it appears the posts linked to above are inaccurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Something is very weird about the Fulbright-Hays this year. I talked to my coordinator and they confirmed that an email was sent out near August 10th or August 11th announcing finalist and alternate positions for our university. But when they coordinator asked for clarification, the next day the Fulbright-Hays folks emailed all the coordinators clarifying that there was a mistake and asked coordinators to disregard the previous emails.

No idea what's going on, what the mistake was, etc. It seems cruel to announce finalists and withdraw it, so I suspect those applicants that were notified early are likely indeed the real finalists. But you can corroborate the Wiki by searching for mentions of Fulbright-Hays on Google for the last month. There was one news post posted for UW's Henry M. Jackson School announcing that one of their students had won the Fulbright-Hays, but the page was removed. It's still visible in Google Cache, though.

Thanks for your reply! I've been wondering why this post has been so quiet.

My coordinator didn't mention having received any emails. In fact, she explicitly said she had not received word either way. From what I understand, as long as a university has at least one applicant, they're notified that their students were unsuccessful at the same time as grantees are announced. So, I don't think "all" coordinators have been notified.

The Wiki post has two responses. One individual was notified on 8/10 (granted), the other 8/14 (alternate). Also, the UW page was posted 8/16. This not only contests the 24-48-hour timeline you've provided, but means that the "false announcements" were circulating for up to six days before being revoked.

I also think that if all "actual" finalists had been notified prematurely, we would have had more posts/notices sharing this information.

Lastly, if the Fulbright-Hays folks had completed the screening, why not announce early, or at least at the same time as last year (8/27)? Putting off work that's already been completed seems unnecessary, especially since I'm sure many applicants would like to begin early October, and are waiting for the announcement to begin making flight arrangements.

I'm not calling you a fibber here, this just doesn't seem to add up. And, of course, I don't want to face the fact that my application might have been unsuccessful. =...(

Edited by kdavid

No fibbin'!

Actually, what part of my account is in doubt? I'm only relating details I got from the coordinator. But I agree on your general point that there's a lot of confusion about the system. Also, didn't they announce later than 8/27 last year according to the Wiki?

2 hours ago, FulbrightHays4Days said:

But when they coordinator asked for clarification, the next day the Fulbright-Hays folks emailed all the coordinators clarifying that there was a mistake and asked coordinators to disregard the previous emails.

I'm sure all of this is possible, but these are the two points of your account I'd like clarification on. Unless my coordinator is lying, they didn't contact "all the coordinators," unless the supposed false announcements only went out to some coordinators.

You also state that the Fulbright-Hays folks rescinded the notifications "the next day." This could also be possible, but it means a couple things. 1. Perhaps some coordinators didn't notify their grantees, alternates, or unsuccessful applicants immediately upon receiving the news (shame on them!). 2. If false notifications were sent 8/10, and rescinded "the next day" on 8/11 or even 8/12, why would UW make a public website announcement 8/16 (the date Google's cache cites the page)? 3. If coordinators who received the notification did notify their students before Fulbright-Hays rescinded those emails (possibly as late as 8/16?), I think we'd have more people out here saying they were awarded, but that the notification was rescinded, or that they received word they were unsuccessful, only to be told maybe that wasn't the case and to wait a few more weeks.

Anyway, it's just odd. And writing all of this helps me to procrastinate.

My timeline for previous years is based on this forum: August 27, 2015, September 17, 2014, September 17, 2013.  

Michigan State University announced 8/31 that four of its students received grants for this cycle.

I think first-round grantees/institutions and alternates have been notified already. Rejections will come out all in one wave soon.

=...(

Could be. But like I said, our coordinator had received a notification that one of our applicants was a finalist, but was then asked by the Fulbright-Hays folks to wait. Not sure why Michigan State and OSU (they made their announcement on Twitter) would publish their fellowship awards if that's the case. And my institution has had 1+ awardees for every year I can find data on it, so it seems unlikely we were shut out completely this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I've spoken again with my *wonderful* campus representative, who has informed me that she recently spoke with the DDRA folks. My rep has told me that she believes DDRA has not yet made any announcements, nor do they make award announcements in waves, as we've speculated above.

She also said that DDRA plans on making award announcements on September 30, possibly sooner. Either way, we're (give or take) 11 days away from D-Day.

I have been an avid follower of this thread but have not posted until now. I am concerned that we are all hearing very different updates from our school representatives. My rep has not heard anything from the Fulbright Hays DDRA. When she inquired a few weeks ago, DDRA notified her that no news is still good news. I am going to speculate that everyone is being notified at different times but will hear before the end of this month. It would be uncharacteristic of DDRA to not notify candidates of their acceptance, alternate, and rejection status. For those of you who haven't heard, I'm in the same boat. 

We had originally been told the notification date would be September 30, and possibly earlier. Since they required principal candidates to accept the same day they were notified (Monday, September 26), it's likely that they're using the rest of the week to prepare notifications for alternates.

Hang in there, only another 48 hours!