GRE Math Scores? (AKA How Low of Score Can I Get?)

Nicholas B

I would imagine that I'm not alone amongst you humanities folk in my dislike/ineptitude for Math.

As I start prepping for the GRE, I'm getting a little nervous about the quantitative section. I haven't taken a math class in about 6 years and to say that I'm rusty is an understatement. 

If I do very well on the Verbal and Written section, does it matter for a MA Religion program that I totally bombed the Quantitative section? How worried should I be? (My Religion Profs seemed to fondly recall their low Math scores, which makes me less nervous.)

I figure if I study hard I can get an okay math score, but should I spend the time and effort trying to do so? 

Hope this makes sense. 

I was one of the best math students in my high school, but ended up going the humanities route in college.  I took the GRE last fall and spent a LOT of time revising math (but I haven't taken a math class in at least 15 years) and managed to pull off a 70-something percentile.  I scored 98-99% in writing and verbal reasoning.  I am applying to Ph.D. programs in theology and/or history, and I have been in conversation with a professor I had in my M.Div. program who is now in the department of religion at Vanderbilt.  He told me not to worry about the math.  My impression is that it didn't even register with him.  That was for a Ph.D., so I am going to guess that for an MA, if you get good Verbal scores, you should be fine.  Still, even if you aren't going to spend a long time reviewing math, I would at least take a few practice exams and identify any major problems.  Memorizing a few formulas or reminding yourself of a few rules of lines and angles may give you a big return for your investment.  You could also call a few places and talk to someone in admissions.

Focus your efforts on the verbal and the writing, but do work on the math as well. Do some self assessment with math first, then find a few points you can fix relatively easily (e.g. formulas etc.); simple things like this can bump you up a few points.

Ideally you should try to shoot for 150 which should put you somewhere around 40%. When it comes to admission, your Q score isn't really going to mean much but where it will is on fellowship "topping (or sometimes Top Up) grants" that are given by the university as a whole to the best students across the school, regardless of department. So instead of a 20-25k stipend, you'll get 30-35 for example.

These rarely go to RS students but it happens and if you're decent enough in math, might as well try.

I don't want to scare people, but math scores can matter at some institutions and/or programs.

They usually won't matter much for masters programs, but they can figure into decisions in competitive PhD programs.

Decisions for most PhD programs are made at three levels. First, there is the person or two who would be your advisor. That person is mostly going to be focused on "fit," on whether s/he thinks that your (1) an excellent student, with great potential in the sub-field and (2) have proposed an interesting set of research interests--something that they want to work on. S/he probably doesn't care about GRE scores per se. Secondly, decisions are made at the departmental level. Not every professor who wants to accept a student that year will get to. Sometimes this comes down to inter-departmental politics, other times it's just turn-taking. The department might use things like GRE scores, even math scores, to compare candidates, because numbers, even seemingly irrelevant ones, are just so much easier to compare than rec-letters and statements of interest. Finally, the applicants the department chooses will be sent to the grad school for a final decision. Some places probably divvy out a certain number of people for each department, so final decisions are more of a rubber-stamp. Other places will do a final sifting of people, and the departments will want to submit candidates with scores that will reflect well on them (and, again, the numbers are just the easiest thing to compare, especially cross-field.).

All of which is to say, yes, it's stupid that math scores can count for humanities PhD programs, but it's certainly possible. They're an easy way to compare people across sub-fields and across disciplines. Furthermore, the math section on the GRE doesn't really test advanced math skills, it's closer to a logic test. It can be studied for, and you're willingness to study for it is an indication of how much you're willing to do to get into a PhD program (where many other stupid/irrelevant tasks will present themselves).

Some programs and places certainly will not care about your math score, but you never know when it'll make the difference.

• 1 month later...

It has been mentioned here before (I'm certain I have said it, at least), but I have heard a fair number of professors mention in passing that math scores relate to foreign language competency. I'll say up front that I think this is bogus; either way, it's out there and something to be aware of. I don't remember exactly what my math score was before beginning my PhD program, but I don't think it was terribly high (nor very low). At least for the doctoral level, many say 70-75%+ is nothing to worry about. For M* programs, I think the math section is more or less meaningless (yes, even to the admins). So, at least for the OP, I would say don't worry about your math score too much. 

I also agree with everything said by Joseph above. I would emphasize that the final gate keeper, the graduate school administration, is, I have been told, much of the reason why students with low math scores are booted from doctoral admissions. Faculty know well beforehand what their graduate school will allow and thus regardless of whether one's application is impressive, they will not waste their time with someone who clearly falls below what the graduate school will allow (there are always exceptions, especially for international students).

This is bringing back 'fond' memories. I truly hate the GRE. It was the most dreaded part of my application. I'm thankful to say I don't have to ever worry about that damn test again. Good luck <3