Applying for MA in Rhetoric and Composition? Specializing in Second Language Writing

I am currently applying for master's programs in rhetoric and composition for fall 2017.  

I was looking at two different types of criteria when applying for master's programs

1. I am looking for a paid master's program.

2. I am looking for programs where you can specialize in second language writing.

Please recommend me any programs that you are aware of.  

• 2 weeks later...

Second language writing is not my subfield, so I am not really sure of any MA programs that are strong in both rhet/comp and second language writing, but I do know that IUP is one of the only programs (if not the only program) in the country that offers a PhD in composition and TESOL: http://www.iup.edu/english/grad/composition-tesol-phd/

You might consider looking up where scholars that you are interested in are teaching (or where they studied) and looking into those programs. I know, for example, that Oregon State just hired a new faculty member who does ELL work and they fund the vast majority of their MA students.

9 hours ago, ayim93 said:

Thank you for the advice.    I have actually emailed the new faculty member who will being conducting ELL work.  Oregon State is one of my top choices.  Thank you so much.

Oh, that's awesome! I did my MA at Oregon State, and it's a really wonderful program. I'm happy to be in touch with any questions you have about it or life in Corvallis, as you continue to consider programs. All my best for your applications! 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎년 ‎9‎월 ‎6‎일 at 11:36 PM, Chadillac said:

Oh, that's awesome! I did my MA at Oregon State, and it's a really wonderful program. I'm happy to be in touch with any questions you have about it or life in Corvallis, as you continue to consider programs. All my best for your applications! 

Thank you.  I wanted to ask about how your stipend was and if it was easy getting around without a car.  I am thinking about buying a car for next year after I get back to the states.

Corvallis is a wonderful little community of about 50,000 people. The program is really top-notch in rhetcomp, too. You might be interested in checking out this GradCafe forum dedicated to Corvallis for more info, too: 

I don't recall exactly what the stipend was when I was there, and it will be different now in any case because it does go up with cost of living every year. I remember the stipend wasn't huge, but cost of living in Corvallis isn't too bad and it's absolutely do-able. It may also interest you to know that graduate employees are unionized at Oregon State, so benefits and pay tend to improve every year. 

Corvallis also has free city-wide transportation for everyone (not just students), and it tends to be fairly reliable. I lived on the north end of town (the university is situated somewhat in the middle of town) and took a bus my entire first year until I realized I could bike and it would be the exact same amount of time to campus. It might be nice to have a car for trips to the grocery store, but Corvallis is also very bike friendly.

Edited to add: I also heard the university recently changed its parking regulations, and it's now quite a headache paying for parking on campus. Unless you were to decide to live outside Corvallis (in a surrounding town like Philomath or Albany) I don't recommend driving to campus if you can avoid it.

• 3 months later...

@Chadillac Do you know anything about IUP? I came across the PhD program because Comp and TESOL are both interests of mine. However, I've never heard of the university and it doesn't seem to be ranked on any lists. Also, they have a summer option and an academic year option, which seems odd. 

On 1/8/2017 at 6:39 PM, Wooshkuh said:

@Chadillac Do you know anything about IUP? I came across the PhD program because Comp and TESOL are both interests of mine. However, I've never heard of the university and it doesn't seem to be ranked on any lists. Also, they have a summer option and an academic year option, which seems odd. 

I don't know much about the program, unfortunately. I only know of it because a colleague applied a number of years ago. But I wouldn't be deterred by their summer residency option. As you might know, TESOL is a thriving field within secondary education--more so than in college composition I'd say--and I sense IUP is accommodating grad students who teach full time during the academic year and still want an advanced degree.

I'd be more concerned with their funding for students (it doesn't seem like they fund all their students, and just from their "recent" dissertation list [which is 7 years old] the program looks huge) and their placement rates into careers that interest you. They might not be focused on placing graduates into tenure-line college-level work, but might instead focus on secondary administration or alt-ac work. This isn't bad, but it is something you'd want to know for sure, and isn't information I see readily available on their website.