Writing sample not required...

lj123

I'm finishing up my last applications (yes, I'm slow), and one of the schools says that a writing sample is not required but is accepted. In that case is it better to submit one or not? I think I have a reasonably strong writing sample, but it's rather long, so I'm not sure they'd appreciate me including it.

I feel like there's a hidden message behind that statement that I just don't follow...

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks!

No doubt submit one! You should definitely include all the optional things (with the possible exception of a diversity statement if you're feeling really undiverse that day). Well, at least this is the rule with undergrad apps... regardless, I don't see how submitting an optional thing could hurt you (unless it was like 6 recommendations where the decent ones drown out the great ones).

I see the writing sample as another chance you give them to admit you over other candidates who do not submit any. In other words, through a writing sample, you are showing them your additional skills and giving them more ways to get yo know you.

I don't have a sociology background, so I submitted an article I co-authored that was published in a peer-review journal. Not sociology-related, but hopefully they find it interesting at least :)

I would definitely send the sample. It's just another chance to shine, you know?

Only one of my programs said a sample was optional. For that one, I actually ended up submitting two samples (but this was on the advice of a professor there).

Considering the writing sample is the only other organic piece of the application besides your SOP, I feel like you shouldn't even consider not sending one in. This is what fleshes you out beyond the numbers, and shows the adcom how you tick.

Definitely go for it!