Fall 2017 Applicants

csot

13 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:
19 hours ago, mayyam said:

M

I already check that page;however, I am not sure they are really accepted into the Sociology program at UCONN. I thought it might be different ones? Did you also apply there? or do you have any experience about acceptance/rejection letters? Some people say usually they let the rejection letters first some says differently. Ugh, I am so nervous and a bit disappointed. I do not think that there is a way to message to those who are accepted. I am very new to here:)

1 hour ago, mayyam said:

I already check that page;however, I am not sure they are really accepted into the Sociology program at UCONN. I thought it might be different ones? Did you also apply there? or do you have any experience about acceptance/rejection letters? Some people say usually they let the rejection letters first some says differently. Ugh, I am so nervous and a bit disappointed. I do not think that there is a way to message to those who are accepted. I am very new to here:)

I didn't apply to UConn. I think each program does their acceptances and rejections in different ways. I know some have done it in waves, others do it all at once, and still others will release acceptances before rejections or vice versa. My experience has been a bit all over the place. I definitely have received rejections (both this round and when I applied for my MA program), but I have been fortunate enough to get acceptances (no official acceptance yet for this round), invites to visit (usually a very good sign even if is is offered without a formal acceptance), and have been waitlisted.

As hard as it is playing the waiting game, it is probably best that you find some way to distract yourself and have as much patience as possible. Don't believe anything or assume anything until you get it in writing from the program. If you want to get in touch with someone who posted an acceptance you can ask if anyone will claim it on the acceptance/interview/rejection thread and see if they would be willing to divulge details. 

Best of luck!  

4 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I didn't apply to UConn. I think each program does their acceptances and rejections in different ways. I know some have done it in waves, others do it all at once, and still others will release acceptances before rejections or vice versa. My experience has been a bit all over the place. I definitely have received rejections (both this round and when I applied for my MA program), but I have been fortunate enough to get acceptances (no official acceptance yet for this round), invites to visit (usually a very good sign even if is is offered without a formal acceptance), and have been waitlisted.

As hard as it is playing the waiting game, it is probably best that you find some way to distract yourself and have as much patience as possible. Don't believe anything or assume anything until you get it in writing from the program. If you want to get in touch with someone who posted an acceptance you can ask if anyone will claim it on the acceptance/interview/rejection thread and see if they would be willing to divulge details. 

Best of luck!  

Thank you So MUCH!!!!  I just applied to 2 universities and I am not really experienced. I sent an email to the director 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything yet. Do you think I should email her tomorrow?

10 hours ago, mayyam said:

Thank you So MUCH!!!!  I just applied to 2 universities and I am not really experienced. I sent an email to the director 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything yet. Do you think I should email her tomorrow?

No. I wouldn't, especially if she hasn't emailed you back. It is likely that they are busy trying to filter through all of the applications and multiple emails may just come across as impatient and reflect negatively on you as an applicant and future colleague. If you don't hear anything from anyone by mid-March, I would email the contact person on the website.  

12 hours ago, mayyam said:

I am the Uconn acceptance. Yes, I'm very sure I'm in and it's for sociology. I received a congrats email from me POI, and from the dept.  I also got my official offer in the mail late last week as well now with my funding info as well. All of my letters say that 8 of us were accepted, and I know of one other person who was also accepted... I think it's very safe to say those 8 acceptances are all out now both in hard copy and email. 

However, my letter also mentions a wait list... but I do not know if those people know they are waitlisted yet....

On 2/13/2017 at 7:52 AM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I am the Uconn acceptance. Yes, I'm very sure I'm in and it's for sociology. I received a congrats email from me POI, and from the dept.  I also got my official offer in the mail late last week as well now with my funding info as well. All of my letters say that 8 of us were accepted, and I know of one other person who was also accepted... I think it's very safe to say those 8 acceptances are all out now both in hard copy and email. 

However, my letter also mentions a wait list... but I do not know if those people know they are waitlisted yet....

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! So do you think I am rejected then? Not sure how many people they accept. Any idea? I just thought I am either rejected or they will provide partial scholarship? If anyone has any experience, I would really appreciate.  Thank you!

10 minutes ago, mayyam said:

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! So do you think I am rejected then? Not sure how many people they accept. Any idea? I just thought I am either rejected or they will provide partial scholarship? If anyone has any experience, I would really appreciate.  Thank you!

Also, when do they require you to respond whether you'd like to accept or not?

7 hours ago, mayyam said:

I wouldn't assume anything about rejections or funding until you get a letter/email from the program. The incoming cohorts vary depending on the size of the program, number of graduating PhDs, the funding available, the availability of faculty to work with interested students, etc. There really is no way to speculate about how many people they will be accepting. Also, the amount of people they accept is usually always greater than the amount that actually matriculate; not everyone accepted will take the offer. 

The general rule of thumb is that you will hear back from all programs by mid to late March and you must have your decisions made and reply to the programs by April 15th, the golden date.

13 hours ago, mayyam said:

I know they accepted 8. I know all 8 of those people were informed via mail and email by now. I have no idea about waitlists. 

13 hours ago, mayyam said:

The normal april date most schools have

8 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I know they accepted 8. I know all 8 of those people were informed via mail and email by now. I have no idea about waitlists. 

The normal april date most schools have

I actually meant your acceptance letter, usually schools ask you to respond them whether you will accept or reject the offer. Do they have any deadline for that?

16 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Yes like I said... the same one most US schools use, the mid April one. :)

Oh got it. If they asked you to respond by April, then it is really tricky. I got accepted to one school but they asked me to respond whether I accept the offer by the end of this month. What if I accept this and UCONN offers me a PhD. Ugh

On 17 February 2017 at 2:40 PM, mayyam said:

Oh got it. If they asked you to respond by April, then it is really tricky. I got accepted to one school but they asked me to respond whether I accept the offer by the end of this month. What if I accept this and UCONN offers me a PhD. Ugh

Hi, if you happen to be on the wait list at UConn, I just declined my offer there yesterday and they should be able to extend this offer to those waitlisted. Thought this information might help. 

16 minutes ago, suisui said:

Hi, if you happen to be on the wait list at UConn, I just declined my offer there yesterday and they should be able to extend this offer to those waitlisted. Thought this information might help. 

Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from them yet. Not sure, what will happen. Did they give you a deadline to accept or decline the offer? I am hoping to hear from them soon. 

5 hours ago, suisui said:

It's worth noting that this (usually) isn't how waitlists work. There are a certain number of offers-- say 20 offers aiming for a cohort of 10. So people wouldn't be getting off the waitlist unless there are more than 10 people who don't accept the offer (in this hypothetical scenario). That being said, I am not familiar with the program at UConn. However, because there are a number of moving pieces (rather than one person declines, one person gets off the waitlist), it's not unusual not to hear about getting off of a waitlist until late March/mid April.

1 hour ago, c11m07 said:

It's worth noting that this (usually) isn't how waitlists work. There are a certain number of offers-- say 20 offers aiming for a cohort of 10. So people wouldn't be getting off the waitlist unless there are more than 10 people who don't accept the offer (in this hypothetical scenario). That being said, I am not familiar with the program at UConn. However, because there are a number of moving pieces (rather than one person declines, one person gets off the waitlist), it's not unusual not to hear about getting off of a waitlist until late March/mid April.

This is my understanding of it as well. And what Umass will be doing with the wait list I'm on.

3 hours ago, c11m07 said:

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know how waitlist work, so you are probably right. This is what the DGS said in the offer letter: 

We have a very competitive pool of applicants for only eight slots in the 2017-18 cohort, so if you find a match with another program, please let us know as soon as you can, so we can extend this offer to one of the candidates from the waitlist

I guess her wording "extend this offer to one of the candidates from the waitlist" made me assume that they already got a ranked waitlist and will be extending offer once they have vacancy. 

8 hours ago, mayyam said:

Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from them yet. Not sure, what will happen. Did they give you a deadline to accept or decline the offer? I am hoping to hear from them soon. 

They did not mention any specific deadline to accept or decline the offer and just told me to notify them when I decide to go somewhere else so they can extend the offer. I assume they are following the 415 deadline. 

2 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

This is my understanding of it as well. And what Umass will be doing with the wait list I'm on.

I think it depends on the program and how much funding they have. Speaking with the profs at ND yesterday they expect to be able to accept 10 students from those that visited, but only offer spots to 10 at first even though they don't expect 100% matriculation. Programs don't want to admit more than they can actually fund. That being said, it is my understanding that everyone in attendance at the visit day is on the short list (not necessarily the waitlist), and I noticed earlier in the month someone claimed a waitlist at ND. I don't really know how that factors in; I figured that those who aren't offered first round acceptances will be waitlisted, but this might not be the case. 

All of this is to say, there are probably different institutional logics at play when deciding on the strategy programs use for acceptances and waitlists. 

23 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I think it depends on the program and how much funding they have. Speaking with the profs at ND yesterday they expect to be able to accept 10 students from those that visited, but only offer spots to 10 at first even though they don't expect 100% matriculation. Programs don't want to admit more than they can actually fund. That being said, it is my understanding that everyone in attendance at the visit day is on the short list (not necessarily the waitlist), and I noticed earlier in the month someone claimed a waitlist at ND. I don't really know how that factors in; I figured that those who aren't offered first round acceptances will be waitlisted, but this might not be the case. 

All of this is to say, there are probably different institutional logics at play when deciding on the strategy programs use for acceptances and waitlists. 

This is very interesting. I don't want to bother them to ask about my admission result; however, I got accepted from one of the schools that asked me to decide by the end of next week. However, my priority is UCONN so have no idea what to do..:) 

31 minutes ago, suisui said:

They did not mention any specific deadline to accept or decline the offer and just told me to notify them when I decide to go somewhere else so they can extend the offer. I assume they are following the 415 deadline. 

Also, I believe it doesn't make sense to check the admission website, I guess? They let students know via email?

22 minutes ago, mayyam said:

Also, I believe it doesn't make sense to check the admission website, I guess? They let students know via email?

I think so. The e-mail from the admission website to check arrive one week late than the informal e-mail from DGS. 

24 minutes ago, mayyam said:

This is very interesting. I don't want to bother them to ask about my admission result; however, I got accepted from one of the schools that asked me to decide by the end of next week. However, my priority is UCONN so have no idea what to do..:) 

Can school actually demand you to decide so early? I thought most schools follow the 415 timeline. 

51 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

Thanks for the information! I notice that some school have campus visit/interviews before they give offers (I believe that's the case with ND?). Maybe schools what give offer directly without interviewing will admit more than what their aimed cohort?