Fall 2017 Applicants

csot

Thanks songofgallifrey. I'm planning to mentioned a theme that came up in a recent interview that I thought was important and a recent reminder of why I'm interested in my research topic. I have other background experiences that tie into this person's story but my personal background highlights somewhat different parts of this story. The interview also reflects some of the difficulties navigating the systems put in place to help people in these circumstances, which is what I want to highlight with using the interview. I.e. this reminded me of why this issues is so important and then give a short paragraph about one of the issues this person faced navigating the system and then go into my current research (which addresses issues related to this person's story). 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2016 at 1:55 AM, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Yale is the place to be for your interests. The focus of the program is cultural and historical sociology, and the whole cultural trauma thing was developed by Alexander and Eyerman. It's a very selective program; I think they only admit five students a year. I had an interview last year and I think it really helped.

Thanks Max! As time gets closer, I have decided to shape every document towards Yale and less so on other programs. I am keenly interested in working with Ron Eyerman due to his specific interest. Can you expand a bit further on the interview process? I heard this is a component of the application; however, I was not sure if it were true or not. 

Again, Thanks! BTW, this thread is a strangely quite this year are there other threads out there?  

1 hour ago, Planner101 said:

Thanks Max! As time gets closer, I have decided to shape every document towards Yale and less so on other programs. I am keenly interested in working with Ron Eyerman due to his specific interest. Can you expand a bit further on the interview process? I heard this is a component of the application; however, I was not sure if it were true or not. 

Again, Thanks! BTW, this thread is a strangely quite this year are there other threads out there?  

you have to be invited first! I know that they've already had some people there a couple of weeks ago. But don't worry, some people don't get interviewed and get offers. You can PM me if you want to know more about how Yale works.

On 10/3/2016 at 1:55 AM, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Yale is the place to be for your interests. The focus of the program is cultural and historical sociology, and the whole cultural trauma thing was developed by Alexander and Eyerman. It's a very selective program; I think they only admit five students a year. I had an interview last year and I think it really helped.

Edited by Planner101

I'm interested in culture & cognition, qualitative studies, gender and family, and migration.  Schools I'm applying to are Rutgers, Temple, University of Illinois Chicago, Vanderbilt, NYU, U Toronto, and SUNY Albany.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

36 minutes ago, lnatj said:

I'm interested in culture & cognition, qualitative studies, gender and family, and migration.  Schools I'm applying to are Rutgers, Temple, University of Illinois Chicago, Vanderbilt, NYU, U Toronto, and SUNY Albany.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

If you are shooting high, I would add Princeton, where Viviana Zelizer and Robert Wuthnow will still be sympathetic to a cognitive approach to culture.  Paul DiMaggio has since moved to NYU, which you have probably noted.  Also give a look to John Levi Martin at Chicago, who is a cognitivist and quite the intellectual.  To my knowledge, the people at Albany, especially Ron Jacobs, take more of a Strong Program approach than a cognitive one.  I like both approaches, so I will join you in applying to Albany.  Good luck!!

Ann Swidler at Berkeley is also generally in the cognitive / practice theory type camp.

Also Omar Lizardo and Ann Mische at Notre Dame.

Edited by Illusio80

On 12/5/2016 at 7:01 PM, Illusio80 said:

If you are shooting high, I would add Princeton, where Viviana Zelizer and Robert Wuthnow will still be sympathetic to a cognitive approach to culture.  Paul DiMaggio has since moved to NYU, which you have probably noted.  Also give a look to John Levi Martin at Chicago, who is a cognitivist and quite the intellectual.  To my knowledge, the people at Albany, especially Ron Jacobs, take more of a Strong Program approach than a cognitive one.  I like both approaches, so I will join you in applying to Albany.  Good luck!!

Ann Swidler at Berkeley is also generally in the cognitive / practice theory type camp.

thanks so much!

On 12/5/2016 at 5:01 PM, Illusio80 said:

you should probably look at UCLA as everything you listed is the strengths of the department. 

On 10/5/2016 at 5:14 PM, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

UC San Diego is the place to be for STS.

I do Science Studies at UCSD and so (naturally) I'm inclined to agree. There are some great STS programs out there (Cornell, Penn, RPI, Toronto...and maybe Yale if you want Medical History), but one thing I'll advocate for UCSD is that we're incredibly interdisciplinary and the faculty is incredibly helpful and approachable. It might not have the immediate prestige factor as an Ivy, but it's a really solid program and I'm very happy there. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Science Studies program. ;)

^ That's really frustrating. If you don't see anything by tonight/tomorrow morning, it might be a good idea to send her a friendly reminder.

What is everyone doing to occupy their time while they wait to hear back from schools? I'm trying to catch up on some reading and do other leisure activities, but I really wish I could fast forward to January/February.

Does anyone know any tentative dates for schools that have interview weekends? I'm a full time professional and am starting to have to work commitments on weekends in Jan/Feb. It would be great to know in advance to hold just in case.

thanks @csot i hope she submits soon! i sent her another reminder this afternoon since it's still not in *bangs head against desk*. as i wait for schools to get back to me, i'm just trying to focus on my projects at work and not get senioritis! also hopefully doing some traveling while i still have a real paycheck haha.

15 hours ago, meowcow said:

Does anyone know any tentative dates for schools that have interview weekends? I'm a full time professional and am starting to have to work commitments on weekends in Jan/Feb. It would be great to know in advance to hold just in case.

meowcow i'm in the same boat. i've been surprised at how little information the program websites have about interviews and the like. hoping someone else on here knows!

Hello!

I applied to the P.h.D in Education program and the Rutgers Graduate of Education request my university to send official transcripts for the application process. The thing is, I was born and I live and Brazil and here universities do not send transcripts. They (my university) gave me a official transcript which I took to a certified translator and then, I uploaded through the "supporting materials" page. Do you think they might decline me because of my transcripts situation? Are they so "stricted" about it?

Thank you very much!

@SocPhDStudent thank you for sharing that! i submitted my applications more than two weeks before the deadline, which of course made me feel relieved to be finished with them but also left me to stress over my letter writers. ultimately my professor submitted that outstanding letter at the eleventh hour but on time.

On 12/17/2016 at 5:36 PM, Hernandez22 said:

Hello!

I applied to the P.h.D in Education program and the Rutgers Graduate of Education request my university to send official transcripts for the application process. The thing is, I was born and I live and Brazil and here universities do not send transcripts. They (my university) gave me a official transcript which I took to a certified translator and then, I uploaded through the "supporting materials" page. Do you think they might decline me because of my transcripts situation? Are they so "stricted" about it?

Thank you very much!

I also applied to Rutgers (for sociology, not education). I think it would be helpful to contact the department by email or phone and let them know your situation. Just tell them what you told us. "My school in Brazil does not send official translated transcripts, but I have taken my official transcript to a certified translator and uploaded it to the supporting materials page on my application." I don't know how strict they are about that, but letting them know won't hurt.

Hello all! 

I am applying to PhD programs that center around crime and deviance, policing attitudes, drug policy and legalization, and criminal justice reform. I've already applied to Penn State, Brown, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boston College, and I will apply to University of Arizona, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, University of California Riverside, and Washington State University. I am also applying to a couple Criminology programs including SUNY Albany, Northeastern University, and Arizona State University. 

My GPA and GRE scores are solid at best, but I have 6+ years of relevant work experience and 3 excellent letters of recommendation. I have a strongly written writing sample and a clear statement of purpose with my research goals outlined. 

This is my first, and hopefully last application cycle. My first choices are Penn State for Sociology and SUNY Albany for Criminology. I'm excited to see how it goes and I hope everyone else on here has a good application cycle. 

Cheers!

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎15 at 0:17 AM, meowcow said:

UPenn HSS is interviewing 01/23, 01/30, 2/6, 2/13

Edited by jazzman

On 21/12/2016 at 7:18 PM, csot said:

I also applied to Rutgers (for sociology, not education). I think it would be helpful to contact the department by email or phone and let them know your situation. Just tell them what you told us. "My school in Brazil does not send official translated transcripts, but I have taken my official transcript to a certified translator and uploaded it to the supporting materials page on my application." I don't know how strict they are about that, but letting them know won't hurt.

I emailed them and they said "That will be fine". So Im calm again haha. But thank you for the advice!

Hello, everyone!

I am also applying for the 2017 Fall PhD program. I have a Master in Economics majoring in Marxian Political Economy and a dual Bachelor in Economics and Mathematics and I am interested in computational sociology, quantitative sociology and economic sociology. I have some computational experience before and I have worked as a Data Analyst for half a year. 

I have applied to NYU, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Cornell, Yale and Boston College. 

I am nervously waiting for updates and emails from these programs but I guess the time is still pretty early, right?

This waiting stage suck! I am really worried as I am only planning to apply for this one round and if I did not get admitted, I might have to start finding jobs as a coder or something. I didn't have any background in Sociology and all the programs that I am applying seem to be very competitive.

Really hope it works out! Anybody hears more news from any university???

Hi all!  The waiting game is officially the worst.  I applied to 13 programs and the worry of "what if you don't get in anywhere" is just really bad today.  I think I have a decent shot- I am finishing up an MA in Applied Anthropology with a 3.9 GPA and a huge research project under my belt (plus an internship, 3 conference papers, and second research project)...but you never know, right?  So here's to wishing everyone who applied luck and hopefully we'll all know soon!  

Hi folks,

Bachelor in Industrial and Systems Engineering (minors in Economics, Music) from Ohio State. 160 v 159 q 4.5 w GRE, mediocre research experience (but it's there), 3.4 GPA, looking into Economic Sociology, Stratification, and Mobility research interests. I applied to (Fall '17) Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, UCLA, Washington, Irvine, Brown, CUNY, USC, and SUNY Stony Brook. Here's to hoping for the best for all of us!

Hey, everyone. This is my second round applying. I learned a lot from my unsuccessful first round-- I was teaching in a public high school full time, I knew I was unhappy, and I knew my GRE scores from my Master of Arts in teaching were going to expire, so I threw together four applications based more on geography than fit (stupid all around). Ended up waitlisted at UMass Amherst and Cornell, but didn't get off either wait list. 

This time around I reworked my applications, have new (and stronger) GRE scores, different recs, and more schools to hear from-- 12 based on fit without regard for geography. 

I know firsthand how agonizing this can be. Decisions will start to come in soon-- the obsessive email checking is its own brand of torture, but it'll feel good to get the ball rolling. Rooting for you all!