how to thank your advisor for being a great advisor

Not as in "Should I buy my advisor chocolate and wine or take them out to dinner after my defense?" but rather, I'm asking how to thank your advisor for being a great advisor while you're still in the trenches of the program, in my case, second year. I see so many posts on here about problems with advisors (which I can totally relate to because a host of problems with my MA advisor gave me enough of a headache every day to make me want to scream) but in contrast, I have the best PhD advisor I could ever ask for. He gives so much of his time to reading my writing, discussing ideas, and being a real mentor. I feel like thanking one's advisor upon graduation and in the diss acknowledgments is of course good, but what about during all the years in between before you get to graduation? I'm curious if anyone has little things they do to show their appreciation (I don't mean buying gifts or "giving" anything) that their advisors seem to appreciate? I know advising and mentoring grad students can often be a thankless task...I just hope my advisor knows how much I value him. 

I think just saying that you appreciate them at your next regular meeting could be a good way to let them know. It might be easier to do this when there's something you recently achieve instead of just saying it generally. For example, after finishing the final version of a paper that was sent to coauthors, I let my advisor how much I appreciated their time in helping me make the paper the best that it can be, and that I felt really happy with the paper. Or, after one of these good discussion sessions, you can send them a message later to say how helpful you found that discussion. (Or mention this the next time you see them).

Even without a "milestone", I think just letting your advisor know that you find their mentoring helpful after your next meeting could be a good idea too. It's just that having a specific event to refer to could make it easier to bring up :) 

In addition to this, you can also nominate them for mentoring awards on your campus, if your school has these. My school's grad student council recognizes faculty members as good mentors based on nominations from students each year. (If you want to do something in this vein).

Sounds like a very sincere feeling of appreciation, and I am sure it comes through in your interactions with your advisor. For most faculty, I think it probably means a lot to know advisees appreciate (and don't take for granted, even though it's their job) the time and effort it takes to be a good advisor. So showing respect for your advisor professionally, showing consideration of his time and expertise, and saying thank you after meeting will probably go a long way. 

26 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

I think just saying that you appreciate them at your next regular meeting could be a good way to let them know. It might be easier to do this when there's something you recently achieve instead of just saying it generally. For example, after finishing the final version of a paper that was sent to coauthors, I let my advisor how much I appreciated their time in helping me make the paper the best that it can be, and that I felt really happy with the paper. Or, after one of these good discussion sessions, you can send them a message later to say how helpful you found that discussion. (Or mention this the next time you see them).

Even without a "milestone", I think just letting your advisor know that you find their mentoring helpful after your next meeting could be a good idea too. It's just that having a specific event to refer to could make it easier to bring up :) 

In addition to this, you can also nominate them for mentoring awards on your campus, if your school has these. My school's grad student council recognizes faculty members as good mentors based on nominations from students each year. (If you want to do something in this vein).

Oh yes, faculty awards! I always forget about stuff like that--great idea.

• 5 weeks later...

It really comes down to knowing the relationship you have with your advisor, and how to show it. My department head (a mentor, but not on my committee) really appreciates when I introduce her to other grad students who are studying her work/are intimidated by her. I would never thank her for doing mentoring stuff, since I know she considers it normal behavior (and resents that some people don't)

I often tweet about good meetings (not always mentioning my committee by name, but they all follow me). This is particularly important when they have given me opportunities (like on a grant application, or paper, or w/e). Something like "I have to thank @ Advisor and @ CommitteeGuy for the chance to represent @ Department at #Conference." I may even tag the university/college if I have space, to make sure that the people who matter see it. (I also work in a field that really embraces/researches social media, so this is normal)

Also beer. I regularly go out for beer/food with my advisor/committee, and they often treat for at least the first round. When I go out of town, I try to bring back a six pack of something they can't get locally, as a repayment/thank you.

8 hours ago, bhr said:

I would never thank her for doing mentoring stuff, since I know she considers it normal behavior (and resents that some people don't)

This is an interesting perspective. I always ensure I thank everyone even for normal behaviour. e.g. When I ask the admin staff to process a reimbursement for me, although it's part of their job, I always thank them for it. I thank the bus driver when I get off the bus, even though it's part of their job. To me, I don't see a problem with recognizing people and commending them for doing what they are supposed to be doing. I know that when I get a thank-you for doing my job, it feels nice that my work is being acknowledged. And, maybe openly recognizing and commending/rewarding good behaviour (even if it's expected of you) is probably the best way to encourage certain actions in academia, since we're not in a setting where disciplinary measures are taken to ensure good behaviour. 

6 hours ago, TakeruK said:

This is an interesting perspective. I always ensure I thank everyone even for normal behaviour. e.g. When I ask the admin staff to process a reimbursement for me, although it's part of their job, I always thank them for it. I thank the bus driver when I get off the bus, even though it's part of their job. To me, I don't see a problem with recognizing people and commending them for doing what they are supposed to be doing. I know that when I get a thank-you for doing my job, it feels nice that my work is being acknowledged. And, maybe openly recognizing and commending/rewarding good behaviour (even if it's expected of you) is probably the best way to encourage certain actions in academia, since we're not in a setting where disciplinary measures are taken to ensure good behaviour. 

I do too, but in this case, she really doesn't want that sort of vocal appreciation, so I respect her wishes (FWIW, she also gets beer). I "bribe" our admins by bringing them baked goods every couple months. Cookies/brownies/fudge make getting those travel authorizations or whatever go much smoother.

3 hours ago, bhr said:

I do too, but in this case, she really doesn't want that sort of vocal appreciation, so I respect her wishes (FWIW, she also gets beer). I "bribe" our admins by bringing them baked goods every couple months. Cookies/brownies/fudge make getting those travel authorizations or whatever go much smoother.

Ah okay, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were making a more general statement about not commending people for just doing their job. But I see that you mean that you know this specific person wouldn't appreciate that action. Sorry for the confusion.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, serenade said:

... I'm asking how to thank your advisor for being a great advisor while you're still in the trenches of the program[?]... I have the best PhD advisor I could ever ask for....I just hope my advisor knows how much I value him. 

IMO, bhr's point about knowing the relationship is vital.

I would add that one can do an advisor a great service by managing one's expectations carefully. One's advisor is going to have bad days for reasons that have nothing to do with you. One's advisor is going to have bad days for reasons mostly having to do with you. (If you don't screw something up along the way, you're probably doing it wrong.) One's advisor may make a decision that seems a 180 from what you thought it would be. One's advisor may end up bouncing you off every wall in the office and then standing on your head because you have missed a key point...or maybe just for laughs.

Under such circumstances, an established practice of managing one's expectations will allow you roll with it, mend the fence that needs mending, and move on to the next task.