Working during Grad School

Bryan

I've noticed quite a few schools (all of them) have a zero tolerance policy in regards to moonlighting. I currently have an internship where i'd like to continue working throughout graduate school...plus I'd get three times the pay as well as better benefits. Does anyone know about this? I've read that some people have worked in graduate school by doing lab work for free in the summer for two months, then working one month to make up for the rest.

I think it really depends on the program. I've talked to some people who did things like adjunct (at a local cc and other schools) through their PhD programs... so it is possible.

It depends on the program. I've had second jobs in addition to TA/RA positions at two different institutions. But you have to read your contract and handbook to see what is allowed.

Also, I don't know about your program, but professionalization through TA/RA positions is a part of graduate school. Yes, they may be low-paying but they are part of the training.

To give you an example, I believe Michigan's PIBS as well as JHU PMS (Hah) both pay their grad students off of a large training grant (I know JHU has a big NIH grant just for grad students...at least that's what their website makes it sound like) and doesn't require anyone to TA (I don't know about RA).

Here is an exact quote from Mich's Immunology handbook they sent me a week ago:

Student Employment Outside the Program

The faculty of the Immunology Program believes that Ph.D. training is a full-time endeavor. Outside employmen subtracts from the time and mental energy a student can devote to his or her research. In addition, it is an NIH policy that students who are supported by a PHS training grant may not be employed outside their training program. For this reason, students are forbidden to engage in outside employment.